How to clean fan without voiding warranty?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Ardoptres, Jan 24, 2010.

1. Ardoptres macrumors regular

I know the fan will eventually collect a lot of dust.
    Do I need to take the bottom of the computer off to clean that? Does that void the warranty?
    I don't even know if it is necessary though. Here are my temps. I don't know what they are supposed to be:

Thanks in advance

Attached Files:

2. illegallydead macrumors 6502a

illegallydead

AFAIK taking your Macbook apart to clean the fans will not void the warranty. Just be careful in there. You can always just blast some compressed air in there (w/o taking things apart), that will clean out most of it. Just get one with a straw and put that right up to the fan ports on the back.

I cannot comment on the temps really, I have an older white macbook, and it idles at almost twice as hot as what yours does...

3. Clete2 macrumors 65816

Clete2

4. segers909 macrumors regular

Believe me, that's normal. Mine is 62 degrees (Celsius) right now, not doing anything but surfing in FF with one tab open. If you want to clean you're fans, you can blow them with compressed air. They're located at the hinge of the screen.

5. Minimoose 360 macrumors 65816

Minimoose 360

This.

And buy canned air.

6. Flammadeao macrumors newbie

Just to echo - the temperature looks just fine.

I have been told that opening up any apple machine itself does not void the warranty. It is when you inflict damage upon it accidentally or otherwise that causes problems. So if you think you can clean it while making sure not to break anything you will be just fine. Have fun :)

7. capkapak macrumors newbie

That's exactly what I did to mine, took the bottom plate off and blasted some compressed air into the fans.

I'm in Egypt at the moment on business and the air here is mighty dusty.

My poor MBP.