How to clean hat?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by TSE, Jul 15, 2008.

1. TSE macrumors 68030

Hey guys I am a baseball player and play almost everyday. My baseball hat is covered in sand and sweat stains and it looks gross. How do I go about washing it without ruining the color too much?

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Change the title to "how to clean a hat?" It sounds better. ;)

Solution
    Accessories

You're welcome.

3. TSE thread starter macrumors 68030

Thank you very much, but I am actually on a tight budget, I am a 15 year old without a job afterall! I was looking more for home solutions if you know what I mean.

But thanks for that information, I will definitely try it next year once I get some money since I will be umping little league.

4. gmanterry macrumors regular

gmanterry

Cleaning your ball cap.

I don't know what you acknowledged that is no longer posted but we clean our caps in the dish washer. If you dont have a dish washer, ask a friend to do it for you. The dish washer won't mangle the bill like a washing machine does. If you don't tell anyone, I'll admit that stateside I used to wash my Marine Corps utility caps in the dishwasher. ;-)

5. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

6. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

I have used laundry detergent on the "cap" bit, and left the front brim alone unless it's really dirty. But I have one of those caps where the back half is made of a plasticy webbing, while the front is made of a really soft material (not cotton). I'm afraid of washing the "Surfing Elmo" picture off, but so far, it's still there. :)

7. cycocelica macrumors 68000

cycocelica

Your parents couldn't spare $5-10 to help you with something you love?

If not, cool. I think you can still lay it in the dishwasher and it will get cleaned. I haven't washed a cap in years though.

8. creator2456 macrumors 68000

creator2456

That's what I did for 4 years. Same team through high school, so I didn't bother washing the hat at all. It's still in my trunk and gets worn every now and again.

As for the OP, I have always heard that the dishwasher was the best way to do it. You can also just do it by hand in the sink or tub and some liquid soap.

9. Ripcurlsurfin96 macrumors member

I always just put mine in the top rack of the dishwasher with just a bit of soap cause if u put to much it will discolor it. Hope that helps