Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mashinhead

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Oct 7, 2003
I'm trying to do a clean reinstall. But I'm having some issues.

Can I clean install it without creating a boot drive?

Also I'm having an issue redownloading Mavericks from the app store. It just keeps saying I can't download it.

God I'm starting to really hate Apple.

Ddyracer

macrumors 68000
Nov 24, 2009
You dont need to use internet recovery i believe. Haven't tried it but you can just boot into os x recovery wipe the drive and then reinstall. So long as you have your recovery partition.

MrManiac

macrumors newbie
Mar 29, 2012
You dont need to use internet recovery i believe. Haven't tried it but you can just boot into os x recovery wipe the drive and then reinstall. So long as you have your recovery partition.

This may be true but I know personally I am unable to boot in Recovery mode.

Ddyracer

macrumors 68000
Nov 24, 2009
This may be true but I know personally I am unable to boot in Recovery mode.

You might have deleted your recovery partition that will do it. Or perhaps you didn't hold it long enough its a bit tricky.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
I'm trying to do a clean reinstall. But I'm having some issues.

Can I clean install it without creating a boot drive?

Also I'm having an issue redownloading Mavericks from the app store. It just keeps saying I can't download it.

God I'm starting to really hate Apple.

Look in your /Applications folder and see if the Mavericks installer is there?

Then go ahead and do an upgrade install over your current system. That will give you Mavs with a Mavs recovery partition. Now command-r boot to recovery and erase Macintosh HD with Disk Util then click install OS. Since this is from a Mavs recovery partition that will give you a new install of Mavs.

JorgeLomeli

macrumors regular
Nov 29, 2008
Monterrey, MEXICO
I just did a Clean install yesterday on my new Late 2013 rMBP.

I have a fast internet connection, well not that fast :rolleyes: , and i took me like 25 minutes to download the 5gb+/- data to install mavericks.

Just turn off your computer, turn it on back again, but this time keep press CMD key and the "R" key at the same time, and ther you go!

First use Disk utility to erase your drive, then close it and select "Install Mavericks" or something like that, and thats it! just seat and wait, depending on your internet connection.

my .2c :)

gc15

macrumors regular
Oct 23, 2012
I just did a Clean install yesterday on my new Late 2013 rMBP.

I have a fast internet connection, well not that fast :rolleyes: , and i took me like 25 minutes to download the 5gb+/- data to install mavericks.

Just turn off your computer, turn it on back again, but this time keep press CMD key and the "R" key at the same time, and ther you go!

First use Disk utility to erase your drive, then close it and select "Install Mavericks" or something like that, and thats it! just seat and wait, depending on your internet connection.

my .2c :)

did you save all of your previous information, like pics and music and then put them back on after the clean install? Mavericks has been causing me issues as well, and i wanna do a clean install, but I'm afraid of losing everything.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
did you save all of your previous information, like pics and music and then put them back on after the clean install? Mavericks has been causing me issues as well, and i wanna do a clean install, but I'm afraid of losing everything.

If you do a "clean install" like Jorge described, you will definitely lose all data on the drive if you do not move it off to another drive during the erase and reinstall.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.