How to clean-Install Lion?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Alvi, Jul 18, 2011.

1. Alvi macrumors 65816

Alvi

Hi Guys I have a 13 "MacBook Pro (13-inch, Mid 2009) and it has a 160GB HDD which is not enough for me now that I will be using it as my main computer and I was wondering what I should do:
    Lion will be coming out in a few days and I would rather wait for it to come out and make a Clean Install on the new drive, But how will that be possible since it's an Mac App Store Purchase?

2. Macjames macrumors 6502a

I assume you have to make the restore disk yourself.

3. adamtj11 macrumors 6502

Yeah with the Golden Master I extracted the image from the "Install Mac OS X Lion" app and then burnt it to a 8gb Flash drive in disk utility, have tried it on a Macbook Pro, Macbook, Macbook Air and Mac Mini , all worked great, 15 minute install on most machines from clean.

4. pcomac macrumors regular

how is clean install different from regular install?

5. Elven macrumors 6502a

Elven

No left other applications, and user selected options such as languages installed etc.

6. polbit macrumors 6502

polbit

Are you saying that you can use the image to do a full install, or do you still need to install Snow Leopard first, then Lion?

7. CFoss macrumors 6502

Officially, at the moment, the only way to do a fresh install of Lion is by doing a fresh install of Snow Leopard, and downloading Lion afterwards. Bit of a bother, I must admit.

Unofficially, we will probably be able to export a disk image of Lion... somehow.

8. jenzjen macrumors 68000

If you have an image on DVD/USB, then you can clean install bypassing SL. IIRC, you need SL only to get Lion since it comes via the app store.

9. NorfolkMustard macrumors regular

Incorrect. Neither officially or otherwise.

10. maclaptop macrumors 65816

maclaptop

One wipes the hard drive "clean" as in blank.

Then proceeds to load the OS, the apps, and setup the computer to your liking.

The other type of install is where one installs the new OS over the top of the one that currently resides on the computer, thereby making it vulnerable to the possibility of come remaining corruption amongst the various files.

While it's usually not enough to cause a problem, it's no guarantee that some problem will not crop up at a latter date. Why risk it?

Personally while it takes a bit more time, I do clean installs exclusively. I'd much rather spend the time up front to insure a great foundation, and the peace of mind that comes with a fresh start.

It's all personal preference. Many don't have the patience, yet when problems arise later, they are forced to live with the down time while they repair it.

11. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

You say that like problems are guaranteed, but you must realize that 95%, at least, of the people using Mac computers don't even know that a clean install is available, particularly since Snow Leopard, and yet the vast majority never have problems either. I have only done a few clean installs ever, and only when I had a problem. I don't see any point in doing complicated and involved trouble-shooting procedures when there is no problem to cure.

There is absolutely no reason for the average user to do a clean install unless there is a problem that requires it as a solution. I consider a clean install a last resort before moving to hardware fixes (depending on the situation, maybe not even then).

jW

12. Alvi thread starter macrumors 65816

Alvi

Hi again.
    The Lion download is almost ready, I have the new empty Hard Drive, what should I do?

Burn Lion on a DVD/Thumb Drive and turn on the Mac with the new HDD?
    I've never seen the BIOS of a mac so I'm not sure how it will work

13. jenzjen macrumors 68000

14. AFPoster macrumors 68000

If you do a "clean" install will all of the stuff you purchased in the Mac App Store still show up in the new clean install of Lion like it does when you just upgrade?

15. sunnyj macrumors 6502

you will have to download the apps again if you do a clean install

16. Bending Pixels macrumors 65816

17. AFPoster macrumors 68000

Yeah I knew that I just wanted to make sure they still showed up in the Purchase section so I don't have to re-buy.

18. snaky69 macrumors 603

Macs don't use the BIOS, they use EFI.

Simply put your hard disk in, turn on the machine and insert the lion disc, hold down C, you will boot off the DVD and will simply need to format the drive and install.

19. Shohan macrumors newbie

I'm curious how this clean install works if the Lion install is supposed to be just the changes between SL and Lion. Any ideas on that?

20. jenzjen macrumors 68000

Where did you read that the Lion install is just a package of changes? I did a clean install today, it is the full package not just changes.

21. Shohan macrumors newbie

I swear it was part of the keynote from WWDC, but I can't find it other then them talking about iOS 5 so maybe I'm getting them mixed up.

22. ZMacintosh, Jul 20, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2011