How to clean install OSX on a new rMB ?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by 10-Dee-Q, Aug 21, 2016.

1. 10-Dee-Q macrumors 6502

Bandung, West Java, Indonesia & Singapore
    hi, so i just got my new M5 rMB today,
    i've tested it in the store today to check things like, bad pixels, speakers, etc,
    when i tested it on the store, i didn't use my apple ID , as i was in a little bit of hurry, so i just put it some random info and klick ok just to get to the OSX home scree.

anyway, i want to asked, how to clean install OSX on it to start a fresh ?

normally on older macbook , i always format the hard disk using disk utility, and then install the OSX through DVD-ROM, but since this rMB doesn't have a DVD-Rom, and also it doesn't comes with any OSX CD or USB, now i'm confused,

what i really want is just to clean format it and fresh install OSX on it , can anybody help me ?
    thank you so much.

2. Erdbeertorte macrumors demi-goddess

Just hold cmd+R to boot from the recovery partition. There you can format the drive with Disk Utility and install OS X again.

Before doing that you should sign in to the App Store to connect the free pre-installed apps like iMovie, Garage Band, Numbers, Pages and Keynote with your Apple ID. Otherwise they are gone and not free anymore.

3. viperGTS macrumors 68000

Can't you change your Apple ID without going through the entire recovery process? That seems a little excessive.

4. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

So you just created a quick user account to check it out? You can get the same end result with a lot less trouble by logging in to that account and going to Users & Groups in System Preferences and adding a new, additional admin account. Then reboot and login to that new account and go back to Users & Groups and delete the first account.

Otherwise, if you clean install you will ned to reinstall all the apps like Erdbeertorte desrcibed. That is a lot of downloading for no real benefit IMO.