How to Clean Install Snow Leopard?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by BigshotMD, Sep 1, 2009.

1. BigshotMD macrumors newbie

This is my first post.

I'm fairly new to the Mac OS. Switched from evil Windows. World is much more stable.

I want to upgrade via clean install to snow leopard. I have read mixed messages that this can and cannot be done. If it can, can someone please post some clear and definitive instructions in how to do this from the upgrade disc of snow leopard.

I currently have:
    - Original Leopard disc 10.6.5
    - iLife 2009 DVD (purchased separately)

Cheers.

2. kornyboy macrumors 68000

Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_0_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7A400 Safari/528.16)

You should be able to do it. Apple made it a little less obvious on how to do it with Snow Leopard than in previous versions of OS X.

Now you actually have to manually Erase the HD when from "Utilities->Disk Utilities" when you boot from the install disc.

Check out this article for more information:
    http://www.pcworld.com/businesscenter/article/171028/installing_snow_leopard_what_you_need_to_know.html

Hope this helps.

3. eezing macrumors 6502

eezing

4. Surely Guest

Surely

5. BigshotMD thread starter macrumors newbie

Cheers. Excellent.

Also wondering about this rumor:

I went into the Apple store and one of the reps told me that they'll be release a "complete" version rather than an "upgrade" version so that you can erase and install more easily. Has anyone else heard about this and is this true?

Thanks.

6. Burnsey macrumors 6502a

Bought the $25 disk, erase and installed by following the video posted earlier, and everything has worked perfectly. My 3 year old macbook pro now feels brand new, everything is very fast and smooth. You should be fine.

I should add the process was very easy, no special tricks involved. Just follow the video posted earlier.