How to Clean iPhone 5s?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by KAB2010, Apr 23, 2014.

1. KAB2010 macrumors 6502

Bought it used from ebay and it's in great shape, but the screen and touchID/home button have marks on it from an otterbox case the previous owner used. It's most prominent around the earpiece where the otterbox has a triangle shape opening and a circle with a dot in the middle on the home button. They don't feel like scratches so I'm kind of confused why they won't wipe away... Otterbox is extremely popular so I'm hoping someone has some experience with this that can help out!

2. rablat macrumors 6502a

rablat

Should come off with some eyeglass cleaner and a microfiber cloth or if you have done eyeglass wipes that should do the trick as well.

3. makerleone macrumors regular

makerleone

Hello KAB2010,

I guess use only a soft, lint-free cloth. Abrasive cloths, towels, paper towels, and similar items may cause damage to the item.

4. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

It is a common problem with some cases as they leave marks on your phone from abrasion. There have been several posts on this forum about otterbox cases leaving marks on their phone.

I think the marks are like etched into the anodized finish either chemically or by abrasive debris and they will not remove with any cleaner. It is all part of it being a used phone.

5. mr99 macrumors 6502a

6. nox5 macrumors 6502

Alcohol swaps

Kills bacteria from previous owner

7. iZollo macrumors regular

iZollo

I agree alcohol wipes I use them everyday to clean the whole iPhone including the screen with no issue.

8. KAB2010 thread starter macrumors 6502

Well I'm only concerned with removing the marks left by the previous owners otterbox case but as a previous poster stated, I believe it may be permanent

9. maliu macrumors 6502a

Dab of toothpaste works on the casing. Don't try it on the screen. And when I mean a dab, I mean a pin head sized dab.

10. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

Using toothpaste, an abrasive, will not remove the marks left the case. It will remove ALL of the finish if you are not carefull.:apple:

11. macfrik macrumors 6502

macfrik

Every night or once every two nights, i use the clean packet from costco (the one for lenses and glasses, with alcohol). It does help a lot and clean your phone and pads from bacteria from daily use.

12. nox5 macrumors 6502

if you wash your hands your iPhone and case stays cleaner longer

13. BeeGood macrumors 68000

BeeGood

I use a microfiber cloth made for glasses. No chemicals...occasionally a drop or two of water.

Water, a microfiber cloth and some hard rubbing should get most everything off

14. Prof. macrumors 601

Prof.

Place it in the front pocket of your blue jeans and throw the jeans in the wash. Perm press only, dry on low heat.

Kidding, please don't do that. I use a damp (water) microfiber cloth. Occasionally I'll use a Q-Tip dipped in rubbing alcohol to clean stubborn marks.

As for the marks left by the case, those are permanent and can not be wiped away. I have one encircling the home button from my lifeproof case. It literally creates a halo around the metal band on the Touch ID sensor. Just put a tempered glass screen protector on your iPhone and move on. That's what I did.

15. ejb190 macrumors 65816

ejb190

Put it in the dishwasher on the "Pots and Pans" setting. :rolleyes:

Sheesh. Did most of these people even read the original post? I also don't think you will be getting the marks out.

16. nox5 macrumors 6502

I take bottom screws out lift the screen clean the goo around the screen with alcohol

17. KAB2010 thread starter macrumors 6502

lol I know right? Maybe I should be more precise with my thread title from now on.

18. The Doctor11 macrumors 603

The Doctor11

Yeah but you can't forget to press the added heat button.

19. braddick macrumors 68040

braddick

Of course I did. Word for word.
    I'd recommend iCleanerPro, but you've got to jailbreak your iPhone first.