How to clean MBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Jenko, May 24, 2012.

1. Jenko macrumors regular

Jun 17, 2009
    Hi guys,
    Does anyone know how to clean a MBP without having to purchase special rags and wipes from apple. I need to clean the screen (it has not been cleaned in ages) and will have to take off my incase cover to clean around the MBP.
  2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

May 16, 2008
    How to clean Apple products

Apple also gives instructions on how to clean your Mac in the User Guides for the MBA, MBP and iMac:
    Also, you'll find plenty of suggestions by searching through the many existing threads on this topic.
  3. user418 macrumors 6502a

Aug 22, 2010

Don't know why dude was down voted on this response. The search function is really the best place to start on almost any question posed on MR. I get lazy or forgetful sometimes but the reminders are actually beneficial, especially when accompanied with factual info.
  4. iAppl3Fan macrumors 6502a

Sep 8, 2011
    Whether right or wrong, I clean all my apple screens with a microfiber cloth. Looks as good as new.
  5. andyhe macrumors newbie

May 24, 2012
    I use Monster Screen Cleaner. I spread the cleaner onto the cloth coming with the box, and clean up my screen. It works great.
  6. Benbikeman macrumors 6502a

May 17, 2011
    London, England
    Worth knowing that expensive screen-cleaner sold in tiny bottles is exactly the same stuff as glass-cleaner sold in large bottles. :)

I use water for the screen, but glass cleaner works well for the aluminium body.
  7. andyhe macrumors newbie

May 24, 2012
    Yes, it's pretty pricey. I used to work at Retailer, so I had employee discount on it. I bought a few of them. lol
  8. pragmatous macrumors 65816

May 23, 2012
    Any screen wipes will do from any brand.

Do NOT use anything with ammonia or other harsh chemicals on LCD or LCD LED backlit screens. It will destroy your screen.

If you're cheap you can use a damp cloth to wipe it but it might not fully clean it. This would be good to get the dust off or smudges.

9. myrtlebee macrumors 68020

Jul 9, 2011
    Baltimore-Washington Metro Area
    I love iKlear. The only thing I've used that manages to leave no streaks, marks, or anything of the like. Use their gray cloth also. It's a different kind of microfiber and is awesome! Works great for the glass, the body, and the keys.
  10. mfuchs88 macrumors 6502

Nov 26, 2011
    I used to use alcohol in a spray bottle diluted with purified water until I realized that I wanted a nice cloth to clean everything with too because Im really anal when it comes to my computer. So I put on my big boy pants and bought some iKlear because it came with a whole lot of cloths and wasn't all too expensive. I was actually surprised with how much stuff they give you. Now I use it all the time. If you've already got a nice microfiber then just use that and if you want, some diluted rubbing alcohol, but if you don't have any cloths I highly recommend iKlear. Their spray is nothing special but their cloths are excellent.The one thing I will add is that the spray seems to cause less dust and lint to be attracted to the screen. Not sure if that's the case but that's what it seems like to me.
  11. derickdub macrumors 6502

Mar 13, 2011
    I use a pressure washer and mix in a little dish soap.

Seriously I just use a damp towel to wipe down the case. Mainly the lid because that's all that gets dirty from setting things on top of it. Being the only one that uses my computer, I have no problem with the screen getting covered with fingerprints. Just don't touch it, and try not to let anyone else. The rag that came with the MBP would be fine for getting them out though.

And I should mention it would probably be a good idea to clean your MBP every few weeks if you're using a case. Dirt and debris can get in-between the case and the computer and scratch/bang it up pretty bad.
  12. mfuchs88 macrumors 6502

Nov 26, 2011
  13. AussieDennis macrumors newbie

May 23, 2012
    Same here. They include one when you buy the machine. The dollar store also sells them. Good luck!:):):):)
  14. aircanman macrumors 6502

Feb 2, 2011
    I NEVER use screen wipes. Or normal glass cleaners.

The best way I have found after years of trying chemicals etc is a fellowes screen cleaner, in a tall aluminium spray bottle from amazon.

Use this all over the computer with a closed weave micro fibre cloth, screen is 100% smear free and it also disinfects due to the alcohol content.
  15. Hrududu macrumors 68020

Jul 25, 2008
    Central US
    This is the BEST product I've ever used on cleaning Macs. When I worked at an Authorized Service Provider, this worked wonders on both the aluminum and polycarbonate cases of Apple notebooks. It takes out all kinds of grime and is a foam so it doesn't run. Makes screens look great too and doesn't contain ammonia, so it won't hurt your matte panels. I still use it for my own personal machines too.
  16. mofunk macrumors 68020

Aug 26, 2009

x2 for iKlear I use it for my macs, iOS devices, tv & computer monitors. I notice if I spray, wait a second, and wipe in a circular motion with the microfiber cloth .. all the finger prints and gunk wipes clean. Then periodically I wipe w/o the spray to keep the areas clean. Or just use the other cloth in the kit.

Also washing my hands before using my Macbook
  17. steveOooo macrumors 6502a

Jun 30, 2008
    I just found this which is a compressed air blower but without the need to buy cans all the time - a electro vac which is a small mains powered compressed air blower thingy (sounds like a hair dryer when in use)

Ive heard however that it's not fit for industrial usage - ie will be fine if you use now and again per year vs every other day in a big it dept.*

Available for around £82 from amazon uk with uk 3pin plug or $50 from America lol!!*
  18. whsbuss macrumors 68040

May 4, 2010
    SE Penna.
    I have a can of compressed air.... is it recommended to use for the keyboard late 2011 MBP 15-in? Also being OCD, I want to clean the smudge marks for the outside & mouse pad area... is Windex ok to use? I really hate chemicals but soap & water will leave a residue
  19. aircanman macrumors 6502

Feb 2, 2011
    Fellowes do a LCD cleaner which has alcohol in it, a lot of the cleaners do not have alcohol which don't dry as well, have a look online, comes in a tall aluminium can with a cloth.