Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

skyrider007

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 5, 2007
Bangkok
I have the new aluminium wireless keyboard and the aluminium bit btw the keys are getting kinda dirty. Is there a way to clean this without destroying the keyboard?

Thanks

koobcamuk

macrumors 68040
Oct 23, 2006
You can buy those baby vodka bottles/get some for christmas.

I wear non-latex gloves when using any of my macs.

Schtumple

macrumors 601
Jun 13, 2007
benkadams.com
I remember my friend once used meths or white spirit, something like that, to clean his (bog standard pc) keyboard, ended up melting all the keys together :p

Ugg

macrumors 68000
Apr 7, 2003
Penryn
Y'all ever heard of water? :D

I just take a damp rag, unplug the keyboard and wipe away.

Actually, threads like these are really the only time I ever clean the keyboard, thanks for the reminder!

IChing

macrumors regular
Sep 25, 2007
My friend says

he unplugs it and put it in the dishwasher on the top shelf at full cycle and to make sure it is extra dry, he then pops it into the microwave for 2 minutes, works like a charm he tells me.

It even says on the bottom of the keyboard, dishwasher and microwave safe.:D

BTW he works for Dell.

Brianstorm91

macrumors 65816
Sep 30, 2007
Cambridge, UK
he unplugs it and put it in the dishwasher on the top shelf at full cycle and to make sure it is extra dry, he then pops it into the microwave for 2 minutes, works like a charm he tells me.

It even says on the bottom of the keyboard, dishwasher and microwave safe.:D

BTW he works for Dell.

That's because their parts come from dishwashers.

Particular

macrumors member
Nov 28, 2007
There are more germs on the average computer keyboard than on toilet seats. I know Mac users are a little more particular, nonetheless, cleaning the keyboard warrants solution with a little more oomph than water. I think what the poster above mentioned is the best option.

mkaake

macrumors 65816
Apr 10, 2003
mi
There are more germs on the average computer keyboard than on toilet seats. I know Mac users are a little more particular, nonetheless, cleaning the keyboard warrants solution with a little more oomph than water. I think what the poster above mentioned is the best option.

I frequently lick my keyboard to get it clean.

:D

In all seriousness though, when it comes time, I just unplug the kb, find whatever cleaner happens to be around, spray a bit on a rag, and go to town.

And, having that wonderful transparent kb, I also need to grab the vacuum, because it can get looking absolutely nasty in there (my wife frequently snacks while on the computer)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.