How to clean phone?

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by Jimmy Guphanti, Jul 18, 2013.

1. Jimmy Guphanti macrumors 6502

I am about to put a screen protector on my iPhone using the hinge method which has worked well before, but the problem I always have is getting the phone's screen perfectly clean/getting all dust off before peeling back the first layers. I have tried an air can and tape, but there always seems to be dust left over after putting it on.

Any tips?

Thanks.

2. OC513 macrumors 6502

turn the hot water on full blast in your shower, leave and close the door. Wait a few minutes and go back into your now steamy bathroom and do the install in there. The steam will keep all dust and lint off your screen. One of the manufacturers turned me on to this method (I dont remember which as it was years ago) and it works flawlessly.

3. Jimmy Guphanti thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks,

I will be sure to do that, but how do I get the dust OFF of the phone's screen in the first place?

4. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

Does the heavy steam activate the water sensors?

5. Commy1 macrumors 6502a

Commy1

I prefer the wet method myself, whether or not you follow that steam room method or use a wet application I'm sure it would work well either way.

6. Jimmy Guphanti thread starter macrumors 6502

I am trying to use the hinge method, but the question I have is, How do I get all the dust off of the phone's screen before putting on the screen protector?

7. OC513 macrumors 6502

wipe it off INSIDE the steamy bathroom, the steam will prevent any dust or lint from settling back on the screen.
    I have done this to about 6 phones and never set off the water sensors yet. Also Apple supposedly made the water sensors less sensitive a few years back. The older iPhones were too easily tripped by the slightest moisture so they supposedly changed them to less sensitive versions. Whether this is a rumor or true I do not know.

8. Commy1 macrumors 6502a

Commy1

Turn off your phone.

Peel the protector off slowly spraying the protector as you lift. Wipe the iPhone screen with a micro fibre cloth and an alcohol based cleaner just before you go to apply the immediately spray the screen with your wet solution.

Use a credit card/gift card/card in general to slowly apply the protector pushing bubble and excess liquid out.

9. takeshi74 macrumors 601

Shower trick. Try reducing the amount of dust in the air. Mentioned not only in this thread but many screen protector threads.

10. Ta0jin macrumors 6502

The best way I have found is to use a wet lens cleaning wipe (I recommend using the ziess brand from Wal-Mart). Then wipe the screen down with a microfiber cloth. Finally use canned air to blow any dust off the screen then use scotch tape (wrap it around your index finger sticky side out) to get off any possible bits there may be and then using the hinge method to place your screen protector on the screen. Hope this helps.

11. Jimmy Guphanti thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for all the tips! I'll be sure to try the shower trick!

12. Warcake macrumors regular

Wow, I am surprised at how methodical you guys are. I pretty much just wipe down the screen with cotton and alcohol, align the screen shield, then sort of drop it on the screen. I then use a scotch tape to get the few remaining(usually 2-3 bubbles) particles out. I do this in under 10 mins, and it always comes out perfectly. :)

13. rrcompton macrumors member

I don't think that's true.

My wife's 4S screen started flickering last week and we took it to Apple to have them repair it. They brought out their little magnifying thingy and showed us that the headphone sensor was tripped and so was the charging port? He took it in the back opened it up and said he saw rust inside too.

Trust me when I say this, her phone was NEVER in water and the only time it's around water is when she takes a shower she'll play music and leave it on the bathroom counter.

We didn't care since we had Applecare + so it only cost $49 to replace it but if no signs of moisture were there they would've replaced it for free. Live and learn...no more bringing either of our iPhones in the bathroom when we take showers.