How to clean the Mighty Mouse?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Shake 'n' Bake, Apr 11, 2009.

1. Shake 'n' Bake macrumors 68020

Shake 'n' Bake

Hello!

I've got a MM and the track ball won't scroll down. How do I clean the thing out?

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Flip it upside down and rub it on a piece of paper. Then search MRoogle. ;)

3. Mew2468 macrumors regular

A dry cloth works as well.

4. Shake 'n' Bake thread starter macrumors 68020

Shake 'n' Bake

I've tried that, but it only relieves the problem for a day or so.

I've also heard that the Apple way doesn't work too well...

5. MacAndy74 macrumors 65816

:cool: thanks for that link, really useful. I have also used an alcoholic wipe on the scroll ball too, fixed it right up!

6. NRose8989 macrumors 6502a

Step 1) Place MM in trash.

Step 2) Buy any other mouse on the market besides another MM.

Problem solved.

....It's kinda funny because I've spent thousands of dollars on Apple computers and yet one of my favorite mice is made by.......Microsoft :eek:

7. Dolorian macrumors 65816

Dolorian

The MM's design is just terrible. Very tedious to clean once it gets dirty.

Which mouse would you recommend?

8. NRose8989 macrumors 6502a

For Microsoft mice, pretty much any corded mouse under $30 is worth it because their really durable, have a decent DPI, and pretty inexpensive.

I have a IntelliMouse that I bring with me in my notebook bag because I hate the lag I get when using bluetooth and always having to change the batteries. I like this mainly because it's pretty durable and if it breaks then I'm not going to be upset about it.

For my iMac though I use a Razer DeathAdder not because I game or anything but because the mouse is really comfortable.

People have also given high praises to the Logitech MX Revolution. I even bought one from a local retail store because they feel awesome when there on display at the store but once I got home and actually used it, It started to give me hand cramps because of the way I hold a mouse when I work. The Logitech requires your to completely "cup" the mouse when you use it. When I work, I like to just use my fingers to grip the mouse and nothing else. Doing this caused problems with the Logitech, So I ended up loving this Razer mouse now that I've used it for a couple months now.

9. Dolorian macrumors 65816

Dolorian

The Logictech does looks really sweet but I think a bit on the expensive side and I think it's shape is a bit limiting and not something that will fit into the way I normally use the mouse :) The Razer DeathAdder seems to be a better option overall.

Thanks for the info!

10. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

I made a video about this topic and posted it to my YouTube channel, link in my signature.

11. y3k macrumors newbie

Wash your hands folks! I'm using MM since 4 years - no problem at all! :)

12. greg555 macrumors 6502a

I tried various cleaning methods I've read about but eventually came up with my own. It's a variation of the "clean sheet of paper" method. My twist is to put the sheet of paper on top of a foam rubber mouse pad. Then when you roll the (upside-down) mouse on top of it the paper seems to wrap around the ball more and clean it more quickly.

I usually do this cleaning dry but if the ball gets really dirty I wipe it with a damp cloth then roll it on the paper on mouse pad to dry it.

Hope this helps - Greg

13. michael.lauden macrumors 68020

michael.lauden

14. Bryan Bowler macrumors 68030

I've been flipping my MM over and rubbing it on my mouse pad for the last 3 1/2 years. Still going strong!

15. greg555 macrumors 6502a

Directly on the mouse pad or on a sheet of paper? If directly: are you using the rubber side or the nylon-covered side?

Thanks - Greg

16. Shake 'n' Bake thread starter macrumors 68020

Shake 'n' Bake

Sounds like a good idea, I'll give it a try.

17. babsvii macrumors regular

babsvii

i have a logitech g9 best mouse ever as far as im concerned specially if u are a gamer. and if u like wireless the g7 they are more pricey but so worth it.

18. soldierblue macrumors 6502

19. NRose8989 macrumors 6502a

I've had problems using Logitech mice, not because they are bad mice but it's that I really don't like the whole side scroll thing.

I consistently use the center button for Expose "All Windows" and when I press in on a logitech center button with side scroll, it doesn't feel like a solid click and it wobbles back and forth.

Just personal preference though.

20. Shake 'n' Bake thread starter macrumors 68020

Shake 'n' Bake

Just did that and it worked perfectly!:)