Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

yalag

Suspended
Original poster
Nov 18, 2007
Over time my mac has gotten so messy with the "open with" list. Is there a way to reset it or at least remove some entries?

Some things there I never open with....but I dont want to delete the app

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
That command rebuilds your launch services database, which includes the links between documents and apps. It should revert that list to your initial system defaults. Possible erroneous links should be gone.
You may find that your listing is shorter. I don't know of a way to edit out specific items, it that's what you are asking about. Your system decides what it wants to place in the list.
In any event, rebuilding the Launch Services database may be a good thing in any case, as it can sometimes fix strange problems in your system. Whether it prunes out the items that you don't want - may vary from app to app.

yalag

Suspended
Original poster
Nov 18, 2007
I just got this

WARNING: The locate database (/var/db/locate.database) does not exist.

To create the database, run the following command:

sudo launchctl load -w /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.apple.locate.plist

Please be aware that the database can take some time to generate; once

the database has been created, this message will no longer appear.

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
The command is trying to use a database that you don't have at the moment.
Create that locate database, if you like. I don't think it matters much, unless you actually use it for something.
It's not something that you would normally have, unless something that you do needs to use the locate database.
(I don't have that file either, at least at this time. I think I had one several OS X versions back, but I'm not sure. If you don't need it, it's not important part of your system, AFAIK. )
Another option would be to use a utility, such as OnyX, to reset your Launch Services database.

yalag

Suspended
Original poster
Nov 18, 2007
I tried OnyX and did the clean thing, nothing happened. All the entries are still there. So I don't think this command will work either..

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
Then, you have your normal set of entries (whatever normal is for you :D ). The system decides what is in that list. Not something that you have direct control over, as far as I know.
Some will always be either not important to you, or not valid to you in your particular setup. There's nothing inherently wrong with that, there will just be items in the Open With list that you won't use.
You CAN decide which apps are the default for particular document types, with the Open With menu in the Get Info window.
Select your document, whatever it might be, then Get Info, and click on Open With dropdown. Choose your desired app from the list. Then, click the Change All... button. Then, double-clicking any file with that file type will default to the app that you selected as a default. And, one result of that, you may look at that Open With list much less often, unless you need to change to a different app for some reason.
And, there's other work-arounds, too, such as dragging and dropping files on top of apps. No need to go through Open With menus then, either.

w0lf

macrumors 65816
Feb 16, 2013
USA
Code:
/System/Library/Frameworks/CoreServices.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/LaunchServices.framework/Versions/A/Support/lsregister -kill -r -domain local -domain user;killall -Kill Finder

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.