How to clean this hard dirt!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by rockyrock, Apr 20, 2012.

1. rockyrock macrumors newbie

Hi guys,

I'm facing a big dirt problem with my MBP. I bought my mbp in late 2010. Now I see black dirt just on the rest area on my mac and I couldn't clean it at all. I hope if you can provide ideas on how to clean this. I want to make my mac clean and bright again! :(

One guy recommended 'paint thinner', what do you think?!!

Attached Files:

2. rockyrock thread starter macrumors newbie

3. azentropy macrumors 68000

azentropy

The only issue with using toothpaste or something like a Mr. Clean Magic Eraser is that it does take off some of the finish. So it will just be more likely to get "dirty" again sooner. If it is too much of an issue I'd recommend getting a skin/guard for it.

4. AppChat macrumors regular

CLR

just use a bit and leave it for a few mins then whipe it off

becareful not to get any near the keyboard....

5. user418 macrumors 6502a

user418

6. FWRN macrumors member

FWRN

I don't know how hard you're scrubbing but for me Windex+Alcohol wipes worked fantastically.

7. mofunk macrumors 68000

mofunk

I use iKlear on my entire MBP. Try that first before using the Magic Eraser. I've only used the Magic Eraser on the white MacBooks. Spray it and let it sit for a second before wiping.

8. tarponbeach macrumors member

Castrol makes a product called "Super Clean". It is sold in most auto parts stores. It cleans very well, as well as making any plastic (printers, monitors, etc) look brand new. It dissolves oil and grease, as well as the oils from your palm, which deposit on the palm rests on your MacBook.

9. mfuchs88 macrumors 6502

Just use some isopropyl (rubbing) alcohol (from the pharmacy for a dollar) with a soft cloth and it should come off pretty easy. That is, if its not micro-pitting. Best of luck.

10. BlazednSleepy macrumors 6502a

11. Ccrew macrumors 68020

It's also *extremely* caustic. No way I'd use that product anywhere near a computer when it'll soften epoxy paint on my garage floor.