How to clean unibody MBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by cmm, Mar 15, 2011.

1. cmm macrumors 6502a

How do I clean the keyboard? Compressed air?

What about the metal body? How can I clean the sweat marks by the armrests? What about the slight marks over the speakers? The marks are removable-- but I am worried about using a damp microfiber cloth over it.

Finally, how can I clean the little strip of rubber around the glass LCD? A toothpick doesn't help... Here's a picture: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/8494936/17mbp_dust.jpg

All these marks are from normal wear and use. In this case, what's the best way to clean the body? I've heard that a white erase marker works... (but wouldn't the shavings get into the speakers?).

2. boshii, Mar 15, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2011

boshii macrumors 68040

boshii

iKlear works for me. I believe it's what they use in the Apple store too.

3. cmm thread starter macrumors 6502a

I thought that is only meant for the screen? I use MONSTER iClean and a microfiber cloth for the screen...

4. Next Tuesday macrumors 6502a

Next Tuesday

Use a Mr. Clean Magic Eraser. Once a month i turn my macbook pro off and give it a good cleaning. It removes all the oils on the keyboard and palmrest and makes it look like new. As far as the screen, If you dont want to buy extra stuff. You could use a "soft" toothbrush to clean out the cracks.

5. cmm thread starter macrumors 6502a

Great, thanks! Do you use an eraser over the speakers as well?

What about for stuff that falls between the black keys? Should I use compressed air? Is there something better?

I would assume using a toothbrush would have the same effect of using a toothpick, i.e. the rubber gets marks in it, and the toothpick just goes between the rubber and the glass, without removing anything.

6. Next Tuesday macrumors 6502a

Next Tuesday

Using a soft toothbrush doesnt mark the rubber. It actually cleans it well. I wouldnt go the toothpick route. I never have stuff between my keys, so i wouldnt know anything about that.