How to clean up my login?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by opticalserenity, Jul 4, 2007.

1. opticalserenity macrumors 6502a

This is somewhat of an iPhone question, but really has to do with my OS X login.

I migrated from a G4 Powerbook to this C2D MBP, and used the migration assistant. Now I think I shouldn't have.

I can't sync my iPhone properly, and it just hangs...but when I make a new login, I can.

So, my question is, other than making a new login or re-installing OS X and formatting, is there a utility or some guide I can follow to really clean up OS X?

2. samh004 macrumors 68020

samh004

You've probably copied over a PowerPC plugin that is useless on your new Intel-based machine. I'm not sure exactly what it could be, but seeing as iTunes plays Quicktime, check your "/Library/Quicktime"* folder and find out which plugins are not universal/Intel, and remove them. Then log-out and back in and try again.

*I can't be sure of the exact path, I'm not on my mac right now sorry, but I removed a whole bunch of similar items recently. Get info on each one to see what it's made for (PowerPC, Universal, Intel).

3. opticalserenity thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks, I'm going to go dig around, I'm not seeing anything that says universal/Intel at all under /Library/Quicktime but I'm going to keep searching.