Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jamin00

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 14, 2012
Essex, UK.
On my last Windows machine there were simple things like Disc cleanup and options under Internet options and what not to clean up stuff.

Are there any alternatives on the MBP like this or do I get an app to keep all things tidy and smooth running.

jamin00

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 14, 2012
Essex, UK.
You don't need to do regular system maintenance unless you're having a problem with your machine. Are you having a problem with your machine?

No, I'm new to MBP as well so I'm still learning it and stuck on Windows ways :)

What the CCleaner app I see then, are these sort of apps just for specific issues?

Thanks

Mal

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2002
Orlando
No, I'm new to MBP as well so I'm still learning it and stuck on Windows ways :)

What the CCleaner app I see then, are these sort of apps just for specific issues?

Thanks

Sort of. They're intended to fix specific types of issues, or they're aimed at users like you that haven't learned not to use them yet. Many of those types of apps can actually cause problems, for a variety of reasons. It's best to avoid any cleaner or maintenance apps and use the boards here for troubleshooting instead.

jW

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
That's common for those coming from Windows. After decades on Windows, it took me a while to realize I didn't have to "fiddle around under the hood" to keep Mac OS X running well.
You don't need "cleaner" or "maintenance" apps to keep your Mac running well, and some of these apps can do more harm than good. Some remove files/folders or unused languages or architectures, which does nothing more than free up some drive space, with the risk of deleting something important in the process.

These apps will not make your Mac run faster or more efficiently, since having stuff stored on a drive does not impact performance, unless you're running out of drive space. Some of these apps delete caches, which can hurt performance, rather than help it, since more system resources are used and performance suffers while each cache is being rebuilt.

Many of these tasks should only be done selectively to troubleshoot specific problems, not en masse as routine maintenance.

Mac OS X does a good job of taking care of itself, without the need for 3rd party software. Among other things, it has its own maintenance scripts that run silently in the background on a daily, weekly and monthly basis, without user intervention.

Hitrate

macrumors 6502
Mar 25, 2009
Copenhagen
I still have kernel_task issues, and ccleaner and cleanmymac hasn't helped..it randomly makes the cpu task go to above 250% on the kernel_task, and I haven't been able to get information about what to do other than visit a genius bar (which isn't applicable since I bought it at a retailer). A friend of mine says it has got to do with build up of install files and such, that are cluttering my Lion install, and that I should do a fresh install. I've waited with this, cause I'm hoping the new MBP's will come out shortly, and I'll see if the problem is still there on the new one, after having ported the OS. If not, I'll do a clean install..However, back to the topic: I guess there is need for clean up of the OS X. I can't really take the "you don't have to maintain your mac" seriously. Even just the ram usage, which OS X is supposed to take care of itself, it doesn't. I'll regularly have to open Terminal, and write "purge", hit enter, wait 10 seconds, and then the unused ram is free'd up. When doing the ccleaner thing etc. there where a bunch of useless stuff that got deleted...so I dunno what's what, all I know is I have a system that's not consistent without maintenance. And a system that apparently have the same issues as a windows system: cluttering of files etc. after a year+ heavy use in terms of installing and uninstalling apps etc. makes my OS X as slow and irritating to work with, as when I was once on Windows XP and had to geek it out in reg-edit to make it work smoothly.

(ps. I do demanding tasks such as HD video editing, music productions etc. so I guess I'm not a "standard" user when it comes to performance needs)

Ccrew

macrumors 68020
Feb 28, 2011
I haven't been able to get information about what to do other than visit a genius bar (which isn't applicable since I bought it at a retailer).

You can go to the Genius bar with any Apple machine, regardless of where it's bought. Keep in mind though that "Genius" is a job title, not a Mensa rating, so there are good ones and bad ones.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
I still have kernel_task issues, and ccleaner and cleanmymac hasn't helped..
That's not surprising. I recommend you uninstall both of those apps. I especially would not recommend CleanMyMac, based on the number of complaints that have been posted in this forum and elsewhere. As an example: CleanMyMac cleaned too much.
A friend of mine says it has got to do with build up of install files and such, that are cluttering my Lion install,
That's nonsense. Having files stored on your system has nothing to do with performance issues, unless you're running out of disk space. Read my earlier post.
I guess there is need for clean up of the OS X. I can't really take the "you don't have to maintain your mac" seriously.
No, there isn't a need for "cleaner" or maintenance apps for OS X.
Even just the ram usage, which OS X is supposed to take care of itself, it doesn't.
Yes it does.
I'll regularly have to open Terminal, and write "purge", hit enter, wait 10 seconds, and then the unused ram is free'd up.
You're not helping performance by doing that. If anything, you're hurting it. You don't need to purge memory at all. You should read the following to better understand memory management in Mac OS X:
Mac OS X: Reading system memory usage in Activity Monitor
When doing the ccleaner thing etc. there where a bunch of useless stuff that got deleted...
Who says it's "useless"? Unless you know specifically what something is used for, you shouldn't delete it. Again, read my earlier post and the maintenance myths link to gain a better understanding.
And a system that apparently have the same issues as a windows system: cluttering of files etc. after a year+ heavy use in terms of installing and uninstalling apps etc. makes my OS X as slow and irritating to work with)
Once again, simply having files stored on your hard drive has absolutely zero impact on performance. What's running affects performance.
I do demanding tasks such as HD video editing, music productions etc. so I guess I'm not a "standard" user when it comes to performance needs
Even with such demanding tasks, maintenance apps are not required for optimum performance.

If you want to do things that actually do impact performance, read this: Performance Tips For Mac OS X

robgendreau

macrumors 68040
Jul 13, 2008
Thank you GGJstudios! I know that the fellow may find it a bit harsh, but I have seen SO many people that somehow think they need to outsmart the engineers that designed the OS they're running. Sheesh.

Not to say that Macs don't malfunction; they do, but the response is to fix the problem, not engage in Voodoo Computer Science. And I especially wonder about the cleaning fetish people seem to have. You gotta have both unlimited free time and a bit of a neurosis to spend time and/or money to find and delete a stray 10kb pref file...;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.