How to Clean White Macbook Trackpad Button

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by sheepopo39, Jan 28, 2009.

1. sheepopo39 macrumors 6502

I've had my macbook for nearly 2 good years and really up until about a couple months ago I noticed that my trackpad button started to get bits of dirt in it and it gave it a metallic clicking sound that kinda annoys me. So does anyone have any suggestion on how to clean out this dirt. I guess after nearly two good years of use it is bound to happen.

Thanks

2. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

Short of taking the bottom case off and actually cleaning it out from the inside, I'd say take a thin toothpick or something of the like, and clean around its border, and then maybe some compressed air around the button.

The only way to really get it clean as new would be to disassemble the computer.

3. sheepopo39 thread starter macrumors 6502

I'm actually going to be taking it in soon to have a crack on the case replaced, should I ask about it then?

4. dvdhsu macrumors 6502a

dvdhsu

Yeah.
    I hope you know that they replace everything, including the trackpad, so you won't run into the problem for 2 more years. ;)

5. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

You may as well. If it's going to be in for repairs that require that part to be disassembled, they'll probably clean it out as part of the re-assembly/inspection process.

6. sheepopo39 thread starter macrumors 6502

I always thought they like just replaced that certain part, my crack is at the bottom right. So if they will be replacing the whole case, that will be even better cause the whiteness on my case has started to fade.

7. techster82 macrumors member

When I had my trackpad replaced on my previous Macbook Pro, they replaced the entire top of the case as thats standard protocol. Like another poster said, that should be the same case with your Macbook and your new top case should include a new, clean trackpad.

8. sheepopo39 thread starter macrumors 6502

but I'm only getting a crack in the bottom right of my macbook replaced and not the trackpad

9. Hipnomac macrumors regular

Hipnomac

My white macbook, which is also about two years old, has the same crack in the bottom right, where my wrist rests.

Also my friend with the same macbook, his is about a year and a half old, also has a crack in the same place.

Interesting that cracks are occuring in the same place.

I want to get my replaced, but I have black skin over the case the goes on the keyboard.

10. walldawg84 macrumors member

If it's a crack on the palmrest, where the top of the screen makes comtact, they replace the palmrest/keyboard/trackpad because it's a single unit.

If it's the outer case, I don't know...

They usually do the palmrest-replace thing for free, as it's a pretty common fault and a good proportion (including me) of the guys on here who've had it done were out of warrantly without applecare, there's a thread about it if you serach the forums for 'macbook palmrest crack'

Hope you get it sorted!!