How to Clean white macbook

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by MikaelSmoot, Nov 7, 2009.

1. MikaelSmoot macrumors member

Does anyone know how to clean the keyboard of a white early 2008 macbook 13.3

get out the little hairs and dirt thats gotten in the keys over the past year.

Also what about the air vent under the monitor any way to clean that?

2. quantum003 macrumors 6502a

quantum003

Mr. Clean Magic Eraser. Buy one and give your Macbook a rubdown, you won't believe how effective it is. I'm considering buying stock in this product, it's amazing.

Do NOT get the eraser on the LCD display though, it will leave a mark.

Also some compressed air will get all those unsightly body hairs that you are shedding out from underneath your keyboard. ;)

3. Prekesh macrumors regular

Prekesh

Awesome! can you use the magic eraser on the keys and trackpad?

4. tjsdaname macrumors 6502

you can use it on the key's.... but not the trackpad!!!

5. Prekesh macrumors regular

Prekesh

oohh alright

A genius at my local Apple store told me that i should use something called "Anti-Static Foam Cleaner" to clean my trackpad.

has anyone tried that before?

6. quantum003 macrumors 6502a

quantum003

Yep. Try not to get moisture underneath the keys but you can give them a good buffing with the magic eraser as well. I'm excited to hear how this works for you. I have literally 3-4 boxes of these in my desk drawer, they work wonders on every white or gray Apple part or product you can think of. :D

7. someguy macrumors 68020

someguy

+1.

This product worked wonders on my MacBook. Bought it used, and it showed. Not anymore! :)

8. boston44 macrumors 6502

Thanks for the heads up on the magic eraser..hadn't thought of that one. I use wipes, but they don't really work well...

9. andalusia macrumors 68030

andalusia

Does it matter if the dirt has accumulated over a couple of years, or should this be done regularly once a month or so? I'm hoping it will still clean off when I come to sell this laptop... but am not really bothered about using it now.

10. kikedeolivos macrumors member

I live overseas (Argentina) and there's NO way to get Mr Clean Magic Eraser here: is there any other method to clean the white MacBook?

(Apple sells here IClear or something like that, but it's a ripoff. (almost 50 bucks)

Thanks

11. presence06 macrumors member

presence06

I used a baby wipe on my screen.. it did leave a very faint residue/line where i wiped. Tried to "buff" it out but i can't notice it unless it's in the sun..

12. Laroosco macrumors member

I used a magic eraser earlier this year to clean my G4 iMac. I hadn't cleaned it since I bought it new in early '04.

Before I knew it my iMac looked like brand new again

13. quantum003 macrumors 6502a

quantum003

Email sent. :D

14. neworleans-7 macrumors regular

neworleans-7

I just bought a pack of these things. I have one question before I get to cleaning though. Does this work on the outer casing polycarbonate or just the material where the keyboard is?

15. chris975d macrumors 68000

chris975d

I don't have experience with them on a MacBook specifically, but I do know that the material that they are made of is roughly the equivalent of very, very fine grained sandpaper (like automotive finishing style sandpaper). I would stay away from glossy areas of polycarbonate with them, as I've used them to clean polcarbonate iPhone cases before, and they immediately remove the glossy finish from them. If fact, I think the packaging mentions to not use them on soft or glossy plastics (or maybe I saw that online somewhere when researching the material they are made of).

16. rsm10 macrumors newbie

i love my white macbook... i hate being a smoker.. its now a different colour:(

17. neworleans-7 macrumors regular

neworleans-7

Oh ok, thanks. I haven't opened it up so I haven't felt them or anything yet.

18. harmyharm macrumors newbie

Eye Glass Cleaner

Take eye glass cleaner and glasses wipes, microfiber, to clean the screen and top lid. Also, you can use a little DVD envelope to clean out the dirt particles under the screen.

19. quantum003 macrumors 6502a

quantum003

You are good to go in both places. I cut off a piece of eraser with scissors, get it wet, and then squeeze all of the water out of it that I can. The eraser should be barely damp at all. Then rub it all over the Macbook, obviously avoiding the open ports, LCD, and anything else that may allow water to enter your Macbook. But as long as you're careful of not touching electronics with the eraser, or allowing water to enter into your Macbook in any way, the only part the eraser will damage is the LCD display itself.

20. Exile macrumors newbie

I apologize for being a little bit on the thick side but exactly how you use compressed air to get rid of the dirt under the keyboard.
    Do I just slam the nozzle under the keys and spray like a madman?

Apples Nr. 1

21. kikedeolivos macrumors member

Hi,

I've read your email and I thank you for your help.

The problem is that customs here are crooks.

Will keep on thinking about it.

Thanks!