Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

The_Auryn

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 28, 2020
Hi, everyone. Awhile ago, I was given an iPad from a friend. Instead of completely wiping it and reinstalling all the apps manually, I deleted his Apple ID from it and added mine. Recently, when using it to set up a newer iPad, I noticed it asking me for my friend's password to his Apple ID in order to use stuff he downloaded on iBooks and elsewhere. I've gone in iBooks but can't seem to find anything. Apart from wiping the whole thing and starting over, is there anyway to identify those downloads or material that are associated with his Apple ID and get rid of them? Thanks.

Isamilis

macrumors 68020
Apr 3, 2012
What made you (OP) avoid wiping the device? You can wipe and keep the same iOS version.

macintoshmac

Suspended
May 13, 2010
Hi, everyone. Awhile ago, I was given an iPad from a friend. Instead of completely wiping it and reinstalling all the apps manually, I deleted his Apple ID from it and added mine. Recently, when using it to set up a newer iPad, I noticed it asking me for my friend's password to his Apple ID in order to use stuff he downloaded on iBooks and elsewhere. I've gone in iBooks but can't seem to find anything. Apart from wiping the whole thing and starting over, is there anyway to identify those downloads or material that are associated with his Apple ID and get rid of them? Thanks.

The best thing to do is wipe it and set up as new. What you are attempting to do produces wasted time and lots of unnecessary frustration.

I concur with @Apple_Robert. It is going to be quicker to perform a DFU restore and start afresh. It is also why I personally have some double purchases.. software previously bought from an Apple ID I used for several years then stopped using when I needed to create a new one.. purchased some of the same software again with the new ID, just to save me time from everyday hassles of updating and such.

Example:
Adblock Pro For Safari, if I use the copy from the other Apple ID, each time the software gets updated, its license behaves like a fresh install on my device with the new ID since I had not purchased it with the new ID. When I did, I can now update without removing the app and reinstalling from my old ID under Purchases, every single time an update comes.

This is also true for some other apps, so I decided to save time and spend some money to get the software fresh.

Point being, choose saving your time if you can save either time or money, unless the amount is staggeringly high or money is very tight, because saving that time (over a small amount of money) will only allow you to avoid everyday frustration and wastage of time, and will also help you to focus on earning more money if you want to use the saved time that way.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.