How to clear out iCloud emails?

Discussion in 'iOS 5 and earlier' started by Arelunde, Mar 24, 2012.

1. Arelunde macrumors 6502a

Arelunde

Recently, I'm getting a brief message that there are something like 600 emails in my account, yet I keep my email folders very clean. I'm guessing it means iCloud is backing them up (it IS turned on for email), but not deleting them when I delete them from my iPhone4 or iPad2. Anyone have information on this? :confused:

2. nineteenatetwo macrumors newbie

It doesn't back up your emails since they're already in the cloud. Go to iCloud.com and look around for anything you might not have seen on the devices.

Maybe there's lots of stuff in your Junk or Trash folders.

3. The Mad Hatter macrumors 6502a

The Mad Hatter

You might want to check your iCloud email settings. There is a toggle that lets you archive your deleted mail. So you may have 600 "archived" deleted emails.

Just a thought.

4. Arelunde thread starter macrumors 6502a

Arelunde

Thanks for the suggestions... I checked out my settings for email and iCloud. I don't have "archive" on, but there was another setting that might be the culprit - the "Recent Messages" to show. I had it at the max (1,000). Perhaps that means iCloud has to store that many before automatically deleting from the trash.

I changed "Recent Messages" to 200, which is probably way more than I need. I'll see if I'm still getting that notice of hundreds of emails in storage. Thanks for the tips! Much appreciated!

5. Arelunde thread starter macrumors 6502a

Arelunde

Do you mean in Settings? Could you be a bit more specific as to where this utility is located? Thank you!