How to clip songs?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by mrchainsaw5757, Jan 16, 2008.

1. mrchainsaw5757 macrumors regular

mrchainsaw5757

Does anyone know how to clip a certain section of a song and save it. Kind of like i heard you can for the iphone in itunes?

2. superleccy macrumors 6502a

superleccy

Tools like Audacity (free), Fission (cheap & basic but innovative) and Sound Studio (powerful and reasonably priced for what it does) will be your friend. You may also need to install the LAME plug-in to give these programs the necessary MP3 magic!

SL

3. boast macrumors 65816

boast

4. mrchainsaw5757 thread starter macrumors regular

mrchainsaw5757

Audacity looks like the perfect program for me. But i cant figure out how to install the LAME plug-in. I downloaded it, and when i try to export the song i want as an mp3 it asks me to look for a certain file from LAME, and i direct it to my folder that i downloaded, but cant find that file... any suggestions?

5. boast macrumors 65816

boast

No idea. Try extracting it to a different location?

6. killerwhack macrumors regular

killerwhack

LAME library

Make sure you unzip the lame package and in my case, I copied the liblame file to my Library directory. There was a readme file that pretty clearly explained the process.

7. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

This can be accomplished easily in iTunes. Select the song, type cmd-I (get info). Select "options" and set the start and end times. Now from the Advanced menu, select Convert Selection to AAC (or a different format, as chosen in the Preferences). All done, no additional software required!

8. superleccy macrumors 6502a

superleccy

IJ Reilly is right, of course.

LAME and Audacity are useful though.

The distribution of LAME I downloaded had an installer which I ran and it did everything for me. I can't find this on the Internet now.

PM me with your email if you want and I'll send it to you. Or see here.

SL