Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Julien

macrumors G4
Original poster
Jun 30, 2007
Atlanta
I'm stuck in the mud. Trying to update but my SSD is too full. Went and bought a larger SSD. Trying to clone using CCC but can not get it to work. It will not allow me to do a "Copy All Files" full clone but only allows "Copy Some Files". Have latest CCC version and new drive formatted APFS. What I doing wrong? Don't be confused by the "backwards" naming. My macOS drive is named CCC and my new "blank" SSD is named Mac mini.

Screen Shot 2019-07-16 at 7.42.40 PM.png

Screen Shot 2019-07-16 at 7.32.57 PM.png

Screen Shot 2019-07-16 at 7.33.48 PM.png

Last edited:

Julien

macrumors G4
Original poster
Jun 30, 2007
Atlanta
So what do I do if I can't switch to a new SSD? Am I stuck with too little space left and nothing I can do?

EDIT: Is there a way I can install the newest version of Catalonia on the new drive and then backup all the data from the full drive to the new drive and it be like an updated clone?

Last edited:

haralds

macrumors 68030
Jan 3, 2014
Silicon Valley, CA
Install a fresh version on the new drive and use the Migration Assistant on first boot. Worked well for me to create a new separate install from Mojave. I also salvaged a screwed up installation that way without losing data.
It's slow, but you can just let it trundle.

Julien

macrumors G4
Original poster
Jun 30, 2007
Atlanta
Install a fresh version on the new drive and use the Migration Assistant on first boot. Worked well for me to create a new separate install from Mojave. I also salvaged a screwed up installation that way without losing data.
It's slow, but you can just let it trundle.
Reading and it says you should "Install all available Apple software updates on both Mac computers" Is it OK to have 19A501i on my source (since it I can't update because not enough free space) and 19A512f on the target? Also I have Time Machine and while I can't remember how shouldn't I be able to install all my files/settings onto the new drive from it?

I just have been using CCC for so many years and it has always been so easy.

haralds

macrumors 68030
Jan 3, 2014
Silicon Valley, CA
Reading and it says you should "Install all available Apple software updates on both Mac computers" Is it OK to have 19A501i on my source (since it I can't update because not enough free space) and 19A512f on the target? Also I have Time Machine and while I can't remember how shouldn't I be able to install all my files/settings onto the new drive from it?

I just have been using CCC for so many years and it has always been so easy.
Yes. The source can be any version up to the current one. Older is what it was designed for.
I hear you on CCC. I corresponded with Mike and he was adamant not letting anything out into the wild that was not rock solid.

Reactions: Julien

Julien

macrumors G4
Original poster
Jun 30, 2007
Atlanta
Yes. The source can be any version up to the current one. Older is what it was designed for.....
Reading and it doesn't seem to cover transfer from old SSD to a new SSD. Did I start Migration Assistant in the new target drive that only has the macOS of do I start it in my old SSD (with all info) that I'm replacing? And did you select "From a Mac..." or "To a Mac" and did the drives come up to select?

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204350
Screen Shot 2019-07-17 at 11.12.50 AM.png

haralds

macrumors 68030
Jan 3, 2014
Silicon Valley, CA
Reading and it doesn't seem to cover transfer from old SSD to a new SSD. Did I start Migration Assistant in the new target drive that only has the macOS of do I start it in my old SSD (with all info) that I'm replacing? And did you select "From a Mac..." or "To a Mac" and did the drives come up to select?

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204350
View attachment 848662
Create the new install on your new disk. After it boots to set up, select the Migration option as shown on the picture.

haralds

macrumors 68030
Jan 3, 2014
Silicon Valley, CA
Sorry how to do that? Which partition I need to select?
Download the latest version and run it under Catalina. It will handle ALL the fine details for you.

CCC is a MUST have. Apple should bundle it, but good that they don't, they would screw it up in no time.

jgrove

macrumors regular
Jul 18, 2006
Download the latest version and run it under Catalina. It will handle ALL the fine details for you.

CCC is a MUST have. Apple should bundle it, but good that they don't, they would screw it up in no time.

Or Chronosync ? I am currently debating which one is better, having been let down by SuperDuper

haralds

macrumors 68030
Jan 3, 2014
Silicon Valley, CA
Or Chronosync ? I am currently debating which one is better, having been let down by SuperDuper
I have both. I use them for different sweet spots:
- CCC for whole disk clones for back up and management. I also use TimeMachine, but clone for backup weekly or after a new install has proven stable.
- ChronoSync with its agent for routine or ad-hoc folder hierarchy copying/sync on one a machine or between machines. I routinely use 4 systems - Mac Pro, MacBook Pro, MacBook Air, and a mini as server.

ChronoSync is equipped to do full clones, but I have found CCC very reliable for years and that works for me.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.