How to clone Catalina using CCC? (pics)

Discussion in 'macOS Catalina (10.15)' started by Julien, Jul 16, 2019.

1. Julien, Jul 16, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 16, 2019

Julien macrumors G4

Julien

I'm stuck in the mud. Trying to update but my SSD is too full. Went and bought a larger SSD. Trying to clone using CCC but can not get it to work. It will not allow me to do a "Copy All Files" full clone but only allows "Copy Some Files". Have latest CCC version and new drive formatted APFS. What I doing wrong? Don't be confused by the "backwards" naming. My macOS drive is named CCC and my new "blank" SSD is named Mac mini.

Screen Shot 2019-07-16 at 7.42.40 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-07-16 at 7.32.57 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-07-16 at 7.33.48 PM.png

2. chrfr macrumors 604

3. Julien, Jul 16, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 16, 2019

Julien thread starter macrumors G4

Julien

So what do I do if I can't switch to a new SSD? Am I stuck with too little space left and nothing I can do?

EDIT: Is there a way I can install the newest version of Catalonia on the new drive and then backup all the data from the full drive to the new drive and it be like an updated clone?

4. haralds macrumors 6502a

haralds

Install a fresh version on the new drive and use the Migration Assistant on first boot. Worked well for me to create a new separate install from Mojave. I also salvaged a screwed up installation that way without losing data.
    It's slow, but you can just let it trundle.

5. Julien thread starter macrumors G4

Julien

Reading and it says you should "Install all available Apple software updates on both Mac computers" Is it OK to have 19A501i on my source (since it I can't update because not enough free space) and 19A512f on the target? Also I have Time Machine and while I can't remember how shouldn't I be able to install all my files/settings onto the new drive from it?

I just have been using CCC for so many years and it has always been so easy.

6. haralds macrumors 6502a

haralds

Yes. The source can be any version up to the current one. Older is what it was designed for.
    I hear you on CCC. I corresponded with Mike and he was adamant not letting anything out into the wild that was not rock solid.

7. Julien thread starter macrumors G4

Julien

Reading and it doesn't seem to cover transfer from old SSD to a new SSD. Did I start Migration Assistant in the new target drive that only has the macOS of do I start it in my old SSD (with all info) that I'm replacing? And did you select "From a Mac..." or "To a Mac" and did the drives come up to select?

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204350
    Screen Shot 2019-07-17 at 11.12.50 AM.png

8. haralds macrumors 6502a

haralds

Create the new install on your new disk. After it boots to set up, select the Migration option as shown on the picture.

9. haralds macrumors 6502a

haralds

I had not paid attention but the latest beta of CCC in fact supports cloning Catalina.

https://bombich.com/download#nmos_beta

I enabled the beta and it just worked. You have to be running Catalina to clone it.

10. crjackson2134 macrumors 601

crjackson2134

Indeed it does... The beta works well too. If you at a registered user, go into the CCC settings and tick the box that activates beta updates.

11. haralds macrumors 6502a

haralds

Have been registered for years. Just backed up a couple of days ago and today restored the disk clobbered by errand hardware.