How to clone my complete harddrive?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by segers909, Aug 5, 2009.

1. segers909 macrumors regular

Hi,
    I wonder if anybody can help me with my mountain of problems.. :(

Short version;
    I need to clone my harddrive in a way that, once i restore it, i will be able to just boot in leopard.

Long version;
    I wanted to install bootcamp. Bootcamp assistant told me it could not create the partition, and that i had to format and try again.:eek:
    I made a backup with time machine, took my OS X dvd and booted it. While he was checking the disk, he gave me an error telling me to clean the disk properly and try again. I did, with the same result. I called an apple center, and they told me that since i don't have Apple care they can't replace the disks. All they can do is order me a new copy of leopard for 130 euro.
    My genius plan: Leopard is still installed. Once snow leopard is out, i'll buy the upgrade for 30 euro, and install it. But since it's an upgrade, leopard will have to be installed before i can install this, right? So if i ever want to replace my hard drive (which i'm planning on doing), i'll have to install leopard first, which i can't.. That brings me to my question; Can i make an image of my current installation, and use it to restore (install) leopard on a new hard drive?

Thanks!

Ps; sorry for any grammer/spelling faults, i'm dutch. :p

2. pdjudd macrumors 601

3. segers909 thread starter macrumors regular

Do you think it's possible to install snow leopard upgrade disk on a blank hard drive? It would save me a lot of trouble..

Edit; i found this, would it work on snow leopard as well? convert maxos x upgrade to retail

4. Amdahl macrumors 65816

If you are doing a Time Machine restore, it might be possible that you could skip the DVD disc scan, and just do the restore. Since it isn't going to install from the disc, it may not matter.