How to clone system

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Luis Ortega, Oct 1, 2007.

1. Luis Ortega macrumors 6502a

May 10, 2007
    Fetcham Surrey UK
    I'm new to Macs and I got a MBP recently.

In Windows, I would always make a ghost image of my C drive after I had set everything up correctly and save it to a different drive in case I needed to reinstall everything on the C drive because of serious errors or to get a clean install and get rid of crap that had accumulated. It was much easier to re-image from the ghost than to reformat, install Windows and install all of the software again and get it all activated.

I now have loaded all of the software that I need to use (FCPS2, CS3 Master Collection and Office 2004) and it is all up and running nicely. I have also set up Mail (why isn't it called iMail?) but I have no personal data yet that needs to be backed up.

What I would like to do now is create a ghost (clone?) of the setup in case anything goes wrong I can just ghost the saved image back to the hard drive and have the computer the way it is now.

I have no idea how to do this on a Mac.

I have an external firewire drive available to store the clone image.
    Would someone please advise me on how to do this on a Mac or where to look for instructions? Will I need additional software or does OSX have utilities to do this?

Thanks a lot for any advice.
  2. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

Aug 1, 2004
    The City of Culture, Englandshire
    You could look at an app like Carbon Copy Cloner that'll clone a bootable copy of our Mac's hard drive onto your external disk.
  3. jackc macrumors 65816

Oct 19, 2003