how to clone

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by fanfaron, Jun 22, 2013.

1. fanfaron macrumors newbie

Hi there,

I use disk utility with the system restore function to clone my main drive. it did clone it, but i wouldn't with this disk. Does the system function is suppose to work like I think, like a clone utility?

There's no error message.

when i try to boot with the disk, always get the folder and question mark icon, which means no OS disk found...

Can someone tell me is system restore suppose to work like I think it should?

thank you

2. Swampus macrumors 6502

Swampus

Give a little more info. What Mac? OS?

I gather that you're trying to clone an old drive to a new drive? Assuming PowerPC, did you lay down the Apple Partition Map on the new drive?

In Disk Utility, select the "partition" tab and look for the "options" button (it might be grayed out until you choose the desired number of partitions from the pull-down menu).

Apple Partition Map is required for booting PowerPC machines.

3. fanfaron thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm trying to do it in mac osx 10.4.11, I have powermac g5 dual processor june 2004 version 7.3.

"did you lay down the Apple Partition Map on the new drive?"

Don't know what that means, i'm a newbie, I did partition the drive as a mac os journaled disk. Is that what you are referring to?

4. Nameci macrumors 68000

Nameci

Open disk utility, go to partitions tab, select how many partitions, and then click on options below that, and select Apple partition map.

5. Swampus, Jun 23, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 23, 2013

Swampus macrumors 6502

Swampus

Open Disk Utility and click on your new drive in the left column. What does it say at the bottom of the Window next to "Partition Map Scheme"? Or does it even show that in Tiger? Trying to remember. If not, option click should allow you to view additional information.

What you want for a bootable drive is the Apple Partition Map. Not GUID. Not Master Boot Record.

If you already have this, then there is another problem.

If you don't have it, then you need it. Disk Utility > Partition > Options.
    Choose Apple Partition Map.
    THEN format to Mac OS Extended Journaled.
    Then clone everything to the drive.

Carbon Copy Cloner
    is very nice too. You'd want version 3.4.7 for Tiger. But you still need to use Disk Utility to set the drive up correctly.

6. fanfaron thread starter macrumors newbie

After doing you have proposed, now i see it, it's on master boot record. I expect that the boot section was copy when doing system restore.

I will partition with the apple partition map.

thank you Swampus, nameci. Explanation was very clear.