How to close an app

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by rjjk91, Jun 22, 2009.

1. rjjk91 macrumors newbie

Sorry if this has been beaten to death but i searched and couldnt find an answer. I just bought my first mac and when i close an app, it is still in my dock. Does this mean it is still loading? i dont get it. DO i command q to actually quit?

2. mr.stinki macrumors 6502

Yes, you have to quit an application instead of just hitting the red button. If it's still on your dock then it means it's still running. This is useful if you want to listen to music using itunes, but you don't want the window open or minimized. Try it out, play a song then close the window.

Correction, it it still has the little blue indicator under it, then it's still running. You can place all the applications you use regularly on your dock, but if you open an applications you don't have there, it'll automatically be added at the end of the dock. It'll go away once you quit the application.

3. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Yes, but it depends on the app
    Closing the last window does not close the app like Windows unless it is an app that only uses one window (basically)

command - Q will quit all apps

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

4. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

This is how OS X works. When you close a window it just closes the window (as to be expected) when you quit an app it quits the app.

5. jon08 macrumors 65816

Yes, even when you close an app with (x), unlike in Windows, it's still open. So either right click on an app and "Quit" or hover with your mouse over an app and press cmd+q.

6. Salmar macrumors regular

Well if you are just clicking on the red dot up on top you are doing it wrong. Go up to the program in the menu bar say for instance Safari, click on Safari and down at the bottom you will see "quit Safari". Quit apps that way.