Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

yg17

macrumors Pentium
Aug 1, 2004
St. Louis, MO
Call and tell them ur sick and tired of their crappy service and overpriced fees and you want out. Simple...

And they'll let you out, with an ETF.

There are 3 ways to get out of a contract with no ETF: Move to somewhere in the middle of nowhere where AT&T has no coverage (or out of the country), join the military and get deployed overseas, or die. Your choice.

diegoesk

macrumors regular
Dec 19, 2010
im debating on whether or not to jump ship myself.

Imma try to hold out until summer or when verizon says they will be cutting their unlimited data.

Olivia23

macrumors 6502a
Jul 26, 2008
around
Sell it on ebay. If your iphine is jailbrojen and unlocked, it could bring over 600 dollars! I sold my iphone 4 a few months ago. It was only jailbroken. I got 600.00 for it.

born4sky

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 14, 2008

There are 3 ways to get out of a contract with no ETF: Move to somewhere in the middle of nowhere where AT&T has no coverage (or out of the country), join the military and get deployed overseas, or die. Your choice.

I think I like option to move: what kind of prove they would ask

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
OP, please change your thread title. Here are some ideas:
How do I defraud AT&T?
I don't understand what a contract is, can I cancel?
I signed a contract I don't intend to honor, what should I do?

ucfgrad93

macrumors Core
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado
I think I like option to move: what kind of prove they would ask

In all fairness, it's not defrauding if he legitimately gets out of it for one of the 3 reasons I listed. Frankly, I think dying is the easiest one to accomplish legitimately ;)

Somehow, I doubt he is going to move. He is trying to skip out on his contract. Why else ask for what kind of "prove" would at&t require?:rolleyes:

Rodimus Prime

macrumors G4
Oct 9, 2006

Well the middle of nowhere one AT&T could still legally charge you an ETF. I would not be surprised if they clamp down really hard on the ETF for a while. Big time on any of the iPhone customers.
The military there are other legally requirements that force them to let the people out of the contract.

yg17

macrumors Pentium
Aug 1, 2004
St. Louis, MO
Somehow, I doubt he is going to move. He is trying to skip out on his contract. Why else ask for what kind of "prove" would at&t require?:rolleyes:

Oh, I know. He's probably photoshopping a bill for Bumf*** Egypt Power And Gas right now ;)

Well the middle of nowhere one AT&T could still legally charge you an ETF. I would not be surprised if they clamp down really hard on the ETF for a while. Big time on any of the iPhone customers.
The military there are other legally requirements that force them to let the people out of the contract.

Nah, they'll let you out if you move to somewhere where their coverage map shows no coverage if you can prove it.

sorepheet

macrumors member
Oct 27, 2010
East Coast
I did it

Your situation is sketchy at best when dealing with a multiple line account. It would probably be your safest bet to simply pay the ETF and then try and recoup some of your cash via jailbreaking devices and selling them on eBay as has been recommended. I was able to break out of AT&T without paying ETF by using the below method:
It was a lengthy process (1 month to 6 weeks) I would simply call AT&T when in poor coverage areas. I would request that my phone call be documented. I would then share with Customer Service Rep (CSR) that the phone reception was a major issue for where I predominately used the phone. Waited for inevitable disconnection. Repeat 3-5 times a week. By week 3 I was offered rebates on my bill, and shortly thereafter I was given the opportunity to walk away from the contract without paying the ETF. Remember to be polite at all times with a CSR. Don't raise your voice, simply explain your frustrations for paying X amount of dollars for a service that is unreliable at best. 9 times out of 10 if you're cordial with CSR then they'll be more apt to help you out. Especially when the CSR sees multiple notations on your account with the issue. :D Good Luck

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.