How to close out of all apps?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by spazma7ik, Sep 16, 2009.

1. spazma7ik macrumors 6502a

How can I shut down apps? I read from old posts that holding down the home button for 5-10 secs will shut down all off the apps, but from my experience this hasn't worked on my iPod Touch (3G, 3.1).

2. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

the apps do not run in the background you know

3. DaftUnion macrumors 6502a

DaftUnion

You are closed out of all apps when your on the home screen. Since you can only run one app at a time (the app your using) there's nothing to close out of.

4. jampat macrumors 6502a

A quick press of the home button returns you to the home screen, but the app is still suspended in the background. The apps supposedly are not running but they are there, maybe apple hibernates each app? I don't know exactly what happens to them.

A long press of the home button completely quits the application. If you start it again later you are at the home screen of the application.

If you really want to turn off all apps, turn off the touch. I don't think having apps suspended makes much difference at all though.

5. csnplt macrumors 6502

csnplt

You can have other applications running besides the app your in at one time. For example, the music app is running when you're listening to music, even after you've pressed the home button and started another app. Mail can run in the background to check for email every so often, as can the Phone app, to monitor for new calls, and Safari to keep pages loaded. Jailbroken apps can also run in the background

Shut off the device, or on a jailbroken iPod touch, install SBSettings, and you can select running apps to quit from there.

By the way, for anyone using a jailbroken device, Backgrounder is very useful, and allows you to let app store apps run in the background. If you like to listen to Pandora, but want to browse the internet at the same time, you can set Pandora to run in the background and go to Safari without stopping your music.