Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mac06

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 17, 2006
In Safari, when a bad web page loads a dialog box with an 'OK' button, how can you close the window without clicking the button? I don't want to click 'OK' on a site like this, as you might get a virus or some malware. The only way I can get rid of it now is to close the application, but that's ridiculous.
Is there some way to close a page with such a dialog box when it appears?

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
In Safari, when a bad web page loads a dialog box with an 'OK' button, how can you close the window without clicking the button? I don't want to click 'OK' on a site like this, as you might get a virus or some malware. The only way I can get rid of it now is to close the application, but that's ridiculous.
Is there some way to close a page with such a dialog box when it appears?
You can't get a virus or malware infecting your Mac simply by clicking on a website. That being said, some sites pop up those dialog boxes and whether you click OK or cancel, it just pops up another box. For such sites, just kill Safari.

No viruses exist in the wild that can run on Mac OS X, and there never have been any, since it was released 10 years ago. The handful of trojans that exist can be easily avoided with some basic education, common sense and care in what software you install:

mac06

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 17, 2006
Thanks for the info. It's ridiculous that Safari doesn't provide the user a way to close a window with a dialog box blocking all views in the browser.
As that link says, the only way bad things get on to your computer is by "inviting them in" by clicking on something. It'd be easy for someone to replicate a dialog box and get users to click on something.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.