How to close pop-ups?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by tbear1, May 25, 2013.

1. tbear1 macrumors regular

How do I force close pop-ups or Safari when windows and dialog boxes open up unannounced? Twice today I went to sites (different news sites) that popped open dialog boxes for Mackeeper. I tried to close the windows without responding to the questions and could not find the proper way to do this. I ended up holding down the power button to reboot.

I do have block pop-up windows selected in my Safari preferences, but developers must have a way around that already.

2. simsaladimbamba

3. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

And Cmd-Q should close all Safari windows, even if their "on close" is set to open yet another one.

4. tbear1 thread starter macrumors regular

Yes, the command+W does not close the windows. Also, Safari refuses to close, waiting for a response on the dialog box.

----------

I will give it a try next time it happens. Pretty poor that Safari does not allow a force close in these cases.

5. davidinva macrumors 6502a

I have good luck using Ghostery. Does a good job of blocking pop-ups. It's an add on for Safari.

6. Nermal, May 25, 2013
    Last edited: May 25, 2013

Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

That's really weird. In the worst case, you should still be able to force quit Safari; this doesn't give it any choice in the matter. To do this, right-click its icon in the Dock, then hold Option and choose Force Quit (this menu item will not appear until you hold Option).

Alternatively you can press Cmd-Opt-Esc to get a list of force-quittable apps.

7. tbear1 thread starter macrumors regular

This works, thanks. There should be an easier way, but this takes care of it.