Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tbear1

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 16, 2007
How do I force close pop-ups or Safari when windows and dialog boxes open up unannounced? Twice today I went to sites (different news sites) that popped open dialog boxes for Mackeeper. I tried to close the windows without responding to the questions and could not find the proper way to do this. I ended up holding down the power button to reboot.

I do have block pop-up windows selected in my Safari preferences, but developers must have a way around that already.

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
And Cmd-Q should close all Safari windows, even if their "on close" is set to open yet another one.

tbear1

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 16, 2007
Does that mean, COMMAND+W does not close the offending tab or window?

Yes, the command+W does not close the windows. Also, Safari refuses to close, waiting for a response on the dialog box.

----------

And Cmd-Q should close all Safari windows, even if their "on close" is set to open yet another one.

I will give it a try next time it happens. Pretty poor that Safari does not allow a force close in these cases.

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
Yes, the command+W does not close the windows. Also, Safari refuses to close, waiting for a response on the dialog box.

That's really weird. In the worst case, you should still be able to force quit Safari; this doesn't give it any choice in the matter. To do this, right-click its icon in the Dock, then hold Option and choose Force Quit (this menu item will not appear until you hold Option).

Alternatively you can press Cmd-Opt-Esc to get a list of force-quittable apps.

Last edited:

tbear1

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 16, 2007
That's really weird. In the worst case, you should still be able to force quit Safari; this doesn't give it any choice in the matter. To do this, right-click its icon in the Dock, then hold Option and choose Force Quit (this menu item will not appear until you hold Option).

Alternatively you can press Cmd-Opt-Esc to get a list of force-quittable apps.

This works, thanks. There should be an easier way, but this takes care of it.

nameismatt

macrumors newbie
Nov 28, 2017
Germany
The new popups (that demand you update) with a cancel or resubmit info button were screwing me up for a long time (i stream my tv because i live in germany and german tv sucks) but i have solved the problem. obviously don't resubmit info you have to be quick. hold cmnd down with thumb and hover index finger over w. click cancel and immediately hit the w. this closes the window. sometimes the task window reappears but you can hit cancel again and poof, you're back to surfing! hope that helps. good luck

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.