How to code with OpenGL in Xcode 4?

Discussion in 'Mac Programming' started by keepdash, Jul 25, 2011.

1. keepdash macrumors newbie

Hi, all. I am new to xcode.

I found some tutorial on how to use OpenGL in XCode, but these methods dosen't work in xcode 4.

Could somebody tell me how to use opengl in xcode4, thanks a lot.

2. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

I'll take that link thank you :D

Although like the OP, I'm after something as well for OpenGL 3.2. I have the OGL SuperBible but it uses a custom set of tools, and I want to learn from the ground up.

OP are you talking OpenGL ES? Or OpenGL?

3. stellardream macrumors member

OpenGL Red Book is what you wanna check out then :) And Orange Book after that, because OpenGL 3 and up heavily relies on shaders. Current edition of Red Book doesn't get too much praise for talking about deprecated features (means, they are still there but they won't be sooner rather then later)

Also OpenGL ES is subset of OpenGL on desktop, so if you learn OpenGL ES first is no problem, because this knowledge will apply to OpenGL.

4. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

Thanks! I bought the Red Book and am reading it now. I see where people get mad since it mixes old and new features (I'm still fairly new to OpenGL so its hard for me to spot the differences, aside from the author mentioning anything in gray is deprecated).

I really wish there was a book out there that taught OpenGL 3.2 for Mac without relying on teaching a wrapper like the OGL Superbible does :(

5. Starfox macrumors regular

The Red Book is a cluster[intercourse]. Asking for help at Beyond3D or GameDev.net is a lot better. If you can handle reading specification-ese, you can download a copy of the OpenGL 3.2 spec from the Khronos website.