How to compile VHDL code?

Discussion in 'Mac Programming' started by monolithic, Nov 26, 2013.

1. monolithic macrumors member

I just started using textwrangler. I typed in my code in VHDL. Now, how do I compile it? Whenever I run it, I get a shebang error.

2. dukeblue219 macrumors member

What is your target device? Do you have a development kit with a programmer and all the software tools? Are you using a simulator package instead?

----------

BTW, a "shebang" error means your script that you're trying to execute is lacking a line like this at the top of the file:

#!/usr/bin/perl

If you were writing in perl, and had a perl interpreter, that's how you'd direct your system to its location to execute your script. However, you're not writing a simple script here. VHDL is a hardware markup that define electrical connections and behavior, usually within an FPGA. You need much more than a text editor to make it work.

3. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

MOD NOTE: moved to Mac Programming, as there are more people here that could possibly help the OP.

B

4. GSPice macrumors 68000

GSPice

Might be good to run Altera or Xilinx or Modelsim from inside a virtual Windows environment on the Mac.

5. monolithic thread starter macrumors member

I just started writing in VHDL. I was trying to write a code for a simple 8 bit comparator. Is there any way to correct the error?

Are there any other software to write and compile VHDL on Mac?

6. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

As dukeblue219 asked:

What is your target?

I've only worked in VHDL with a specific hardware target (CPLD or FPGA) in mind and used the company's simulators, but I know there are some FOSS type simulators.

B

7. monolithic thread starter macrumors member

That would be FPGA.