Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

music.addict411

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 8, 2007
Vancouver, Canada
In school I found out how to change the entire user interface of your mac.

Hold down the control, option and apple buttons at the same time and press 8. The screen should look completely different now. I think it looks almost better.

To get back to normal do the same shortcut.

VoidBoi

macrumors regular
Feb 5, 2007
Australia
It's amazing how many people keep discovering that key combo. :p I use it at night since it's easier on my eyes.

All it does is invert the colours. You can also change to B&W in the Universal Access preferences pane.

asdfTT123

macrumors regular
Nov 1, 2007
That actually hurts my eyes more than it helps. If there's any bit of black on the screen, the inverted color makes me dizzy.

SthrnCmfrtr

macrumors 6502
Aug 20, 2007
Las Vegas, NV
Funny. I was just facetiously mentioning this in another thread, along with the Shift+function keys to make Exposé move slowly and the Cmd+W combination to free up system resources.

blahbrah

macrumors 6502
Nov 9, 2006
someone told me doing this conserves battery power too, anyone know if there is truth to that.

Phil A.

Moderator emeritus
Apr 2, 2006
Shropshire, UK
Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/3B48b Safari/419.3)

Amazing! I wonder how many other hidden features like this are in OS X. </sarcasm>

mpw

Jun 18, 2004
In school I found out how to change the entire user interface of your mac...
Known about this for a while from a previous thread, but it's a good guide to the quality of sales staff. I did this middle of last week at a local CE store that sells Macs... they are yet to change it back to normal and I suspect they don't know how. From memory another good wheeze on MS Win.XP machines is to hit Alt+Ctrl+[an arrow key], it flips the desktop through 90º or 180º depending on which arrow key. I did this to a colleague's machine while away from his desk, when he returned he was baffled. I sat in his chair looking all techie 'n' stuff and with a carefully placed hand on the correct keys hit the LCD to 'right' the desktop:)

WildPalms

macrumors 6502a
Jan 4, 2006
Honolulu, HI
Known about this for a while from a previous thread, but it's a good guide to the quality of sales staff. I did this middle of last week at a local CE store that sells Macs... they are yet to change it back to normal and I suspect they don't know how. From memory another good wheeze on MS Win.XP machines is to hit Alt+Ctrl+[an arrow key], it flips the desktop through 90º or 180º depending on which arrow key. I did this to a colleague's machine while away from his desk, when he returned he was baffled. I sat in his chair looking all techie 'n' stuff and with a carefully placed hand on the correct keys hit the LCD to 'right' the desktop:)

That only works on the Intel graphics chips with the full driver loaded.

kolax

macrumors G3
Mar 20, 2007
I remember I done this to a mate's MacBook when he was in the toilet. He came back, totally confused and he ended up taking it to the nearest Apple retailer to get it checked over.

The guy at the retailer was pretty baffled too and thought the LCD display connection was playing up.

Just aswell I told him before that plonker opened up his MacBook..

Raid

macrumors 68020
Feb 18, 2003
Toronto
From memory another good wheeze on MS Win.XP machines is to hit Alt+Ctrl+[an arrow key], it flips the desktop through 90º or 180º depending on which arrow key.

Doesn't appear to work here.
I did this trick to several people at work as a April Fool's joke. It isn't always enabled on some machines, to turn it on you go to the control panel, however I can't find the control panel item on this XP machine... it's not display it had something to do with the graphics card I think.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.