How to compress a ripped youtube video?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by OMGaNewbie, Sep 23, 2008.

1. OMGaNewbie macrumors newbie

Hello,

I recently learned how to rip a video from youtube via Window, Active, iSquint & Save.

But this video is bigger than the ripped videos my friends send me from youtube & it takes so long to send. Then it gets bounced back as "Undeliverable because of size"

How do I make is smaller so that it sends quicker and is accepted on the other end, like the ones I receive and pass on easily.

2. pit29 macrumors 6502a

pit29

I guessed they are already relatively compressed... and further compression would compromise their quality even more. Why not sending your friends simply the YouTube links? (And yes, I know, that's not what the TS asked...)

3. OMGaNewbie thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes, and no.

They are compressed for youtube, but not as small as the ones I get from my email joke buddies.

Those ones are compressed even more. They send/receive much easier.

Sending the whole youtube link takes away from the personal type viewing.

I know that there is a way to do it. I just need to find the person that knows how, to share info with me.

4. DaveF macrumors 6502a

You want to use a program like MPEG StreamClip or Visual Hub to convert it to a lower resolution, or lower bit rate, or better compressed format (e.g. H264 isntead of MPEG-2) to shrink the file.

5. OMGaNewbie thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you Dave,

Tomorrow, when I have better concentration, I will try and figure out how to use the downloads that you have suggested.

I really appreciate your taking the time to educate me.

BTW, off topic, as you can see I am new to this forum, why is it, if I click
    "remember me" when signing in, and I close the window, go about my business and then open this site again and want to reply or post I have to sign in all over again.

I don't go thru that with my other forums, or real estate search sites. Unless of course I clean all my cookies.
    I can close any of their sites, return and I do not have to sign in all over again just to reply or post. This is such a pain.

6. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

I agree with the log in. Like I can leave youtube logged in for ... days and as long as I don't delete cookies, im still logged in.