How to compress files so will work on pc and mac

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by craighereatmac, Dec 14, 2012.

1. craighereatmac macrumors newbie

I sell a digital download product, which is a pdf ebook with 2 hrs mp3 recordings. I want to put the pdf and mp3's in a folder and compress it in a way that it will be uncompressable on both macs and pc's.

Does anyone know of a solution that might help me?

2. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

You want a folder that can't be compressed on either a Mac or a Windows PC? Explain.

3. justperry macrumors 604

justperry

LOL, exactly, the OP should be :eek:

------

OP, right click and click Compress, it's zipped and can be used on both Windows and OS X amongst other OS's.

4. craighereatmac thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for your replies. Sorry about that, yeah I meant to say that users on both mac and pc need to be able to uncompress the file.

I have tried just zipping it, but user's on pc's who download the file are not able to unzip the file on their computer. Then I tried yemuzip but it isn't working either. yemuzip gives you the option to zip in mac or pc format, and it says that the pc format will open on mac, but it doesn't work at all. When I zip using mac format, pc users are not able to unzip the file, and when I zip using pc format, mac users are not able to unzip it.

So now I'm looking for a solution that works for both...

5. justperry macrumors 604

justperry

This is odd, try to zip a single file, not in a folder, does this work on PC, if not there's something wrong.

6. craighereatmac thread starter macrumors newbie

I apologize for adding confusion; I figured out that the problem was related to a plugin I am using. I thought I had ruled that out but after examining again realized not. Sorry for the mistake and this non productive thread. There is not a problem with the zip files after all.

7. justperry macrumors 604

justperry

Ah, I see, had to be something, a zip can be used on most if not all platforms (OS's).