How to Compress my files - to send

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by star555, Oct 8, 2008.

1. star555 macrumors regular

I am burdened with having to use a Dial up internet connection, so trying to send any files, attachments etc to friends is some times impossible, or takes a very long time. Is there an application that could some how compress the files etc , that I want to send and make the process possible and a bit quicker ..?

Thanks

2. pit29 macrumors 6502a

pit29

put the files you want to send in a folder, then right-click on the folder (or on a single file, if you want to send just one), and choose "make archive" - could be slightly different, my OS's language is not english. however, this will create a .zip file which should be smaller than the original thing.

if you're sending photos, depending on the intended use, change the resolution to 72dpi, resize them, and save as jpeg. they won't probably look fine when printed, but should be ok for viewing on a computer monitor.

3. mysterytramp macrumors 65816

mysterytramp

In case you don't have a two-button mouse (or aren't inclined to control click), there's the "Create Archive" command under the file menu in the Finder. Same thing.

mt

4. Habusho macrumors 6502

You would need a program like Stuffit to have some advanced functionality like password protected archives etc.

5. akidd macrumors regular

Once you have zipped the files, it could be quicker for you to use something like You Send It.com, especially the Express version of it. Depending on your dial-up connection it could be quicker than sending it through email.

6. star555 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks Guy's for the advice, I am going to give it a try, in the meantime
    ive come across something called ... StuffIt Deluxe

would this help with my problem ..?

Thanks

7. pit29 macrumors 6502a

pit29

It would help, but it will cost money. Compressing (=archiving) with Mac OS X's built-in feature will also help, but comes for free (with Leopard, that is...).

8. mysterytramp macrumors 65816

mysterytramp

And Tiger ...

mt

9. star555 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks Guy's , for the info - ive now some thing to try . :)