How to condition a MBP battery that will rarely be used

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by cosrocket, Sep 22, 2009.

1. cosrocket macrumors regular

I recently received my MacBook Pro with the sealed battery. It is rarely going to be used on battery power, 99% of the time it will be on AC and attached to an external monitor. Ordinary if the battery was removable I would take it out but since it isn't, is there any special procedure I should follow to condition the battery? Or is it OK to just leave it on AC indefinitely without discharging it?

2. cababah macrumors 68000

Yes, just do a full charge/discharge cycle once a month.

3. ZMacintosh macrumors 65816

ZMacintosh

yes it should be fine with the type of macbooks out there now.
    i use a unibody with built in battery (no room for a desktop and incase i need to get portable) plugged in all the time conencted to a display.

i havent noticed any issues with the battery length or degrading of its performance when i switch to battery use.

what i usually do is lift the lid and unplug the magsafe and let it drain a bit every once and awhile if i feel it needs to (dont have too but keeps its fluctuating)

besides if you removed the battery it would decrease the overall computers performance since the the magsafe would underclock the cpu.

4. kryptonianjorel macrumors 6502

Just use it. Once a month is a good estimate, but if it doesn't hurt you, do once a week.

5. Kronie macrumors 6502a

Kronie

I run mine down once a week or so. I'm connected to power 99% of the time. After six months I'm still at 100%. Hopefully it will stay that way forever!

6. sn0warmy macrumors 6502a

sn0warmy

Just figured I would chime in:

While in College I had my first gen MBP plugged in 7 days a week and I let it go through a full cycle MAYBE twice a month. After 4 years the battery still lasted over 3 hours the day I sold it.

But on a side note, does anyone else think it's ridiculous that Apple would make a notebook with a battery that cannot be removed/replaced?

7. cababah macrumors 68000

It can be removed/replaced. It is just not as user-friendly as the previous MBs. Also, it will supposedly void your warranty or something if you try and do it yourself instead of taking it to :apple: The battery isn't soldered on or anything.

8. jasko macrumors 6502

jasko

Glad I found a thread like this. I'm getting a MBP on Friday (yay!) and am worried about the battery life. Is it bad to keep the new laptops plugged in a lot? Like overnight if I'm done using it or just plugged in all the time vs not being plugged in? I just don't want it to not hold the charge anymore. I'm too used to having a desktop...

9. kryptonianjorel macrumors 6502

You can't overcharge. use your battery once in a while. Read up on how to properly power cycle your battery and do it a few times a month.