how to configure router to connect to other router

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by fireshot91, Jul 31, 2009.

1. fireshot91 macrumors 601

fireshot91

I have a Netgear router that I want to set up so it gets access from my other router (SMC I think).

It's connected via ethernet to my Mac.
    I don't exactly know what to do now....

2. geoffreak macrumors 68020

geoffreak

Turn off the DHCP server on the secondary router and connect it to the primary router by running an Ethernet cable from the primary router to one of the local ports on the secondary router. Do NOT plug it into the "WAN" or "Internet" port (the one port off to the side).

3. fireshot91 thread starter macrumors 601

fireshot91

Uh What.

Slow down there.

I want it to connect wirelessly. Is that even possible?

4. geoffreak macrumors 68020

geoffreak

You want to connect the two routers by wireless and use the second router to provide Ethernet connections to devices without wireless? Most routers don't support this. You will need to get an Airport Express to do this.

5. fireshot91 thread starter macrumors 601

fireshot91

Nope.

I want to connect the two wirelessly, and then connect my computer wirelessly to the Netgear one.

It's connected by ethernet right now to configure it. The netgear one is "WNR834B v2"
    and the SMC is "SMCWGBR14-N".

6. geoffreak macrumors 68020

geoffreak

Can you draw a diagram of what you are trying to accomplish? I don't think we are understanding each other.

7. fireshot91 thread starter macrumors 601

fireshot91

Okay, this took me sort of a long time to do.... so yeah.

Okay, so my upload speed is lacking in the megabytes department right about now.

The attachment function on MR is timing out, and TinyPic is taking forever.

It's a 14.xMB .bmp.
    http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=30u7bxd&s=3

There's the TinyPic link

8. geoffreak macrumors 68020

geoffreak

So what you are after is a range extender/wireless repeater. Sadly, a router can't pick up a wireless signal from another router and forward it.

You can do my original suggestion and wire the SMC and Netgear together though. If you do the steps I explained, if a computer connects to either router, they will be part of the same network.

9. uberamd macrumors 68030

uberamd

10. fireshot91 thread starter macrumors 601

fireshot91

Yeah, I don't want a extender.

I want to ONLY connect to the Netgear.
    Get what I mean?

I'm the only computer with Wireless N in my house, so when I connect to my N router, while other G devices are connected, it slows it down. So, I want the Netgear to act like it's own network.

Is that only possible via wired?

11. geoffreak macrumors 68020

geoffreak

So you want the G and N devices on two different wireless networks? Just do what I have been suggesting from the beginning! Set one router to G only and the other to N only. All the devices connected to both routers can see each other, but the two wireless networks will not slow each other down.

Engadget made a great guide

12. uberamd macrumors 68030

uberamd

If you are the only wireless N device in the house and everything else is wireless G (no ethernet), where are you expecting the speed increases? Or do you have hard cabled devices? Because only when communicating with the hard cabled devices over LAN will you see a speed bump probably.

13. fireshot91 thread starter macrumors 601

fireshot91

I'm expecting the speed increase because the G devices on my network (When they're connected) slow down the router to speeds in between G and N.
    Get it?

So, if there were only N devices on the network, my router would perform at only N speeds. That's what I'm trying to accomplish, set up another router and make a different network, with N only speeds.

But, I can't have it next to each other. My computer barely gets any signal upstairs. The routers (If wired to each other) would be in the basement.
    So, I'm wondering if I can do exactly what you said (Except, I don't really care if I see other devices on the different network), except wirelessly.

14. uberamd macrumors 68030

uberamd

No you cannot bridge two different wireless routers unless they specifically support it in the settings. How do you expect the lone router with no cables to get internet access? It needs to bridge to a router that provides it with wireless, and you don't have devices that can talk that way.

Also you aren't going to see internet speeds increase or anything like that. Talking to wireless G devices will be identical speeds, only N to N devices (local transfers between Mac's for example) will see a speed boost which I think you realize but I just want to make sure.

15. madog macrumors 65816

madog

Whenever you extend the range of a wireless signal you tend to lose a bit of speed.

Do you barely get signal upstairs from the G, or with the N. I know the N supports a longer range.

What I'm thinking is that you could do the engadget setup with the multple routers, and possibly purchase a small extender specifically for whichever one you want to (sounds like you want to boost the N). So you have the 2 routers downstairs, and the repeater for the N network (one that's made by the same company for that N router) placed somewhere in between.

I know you can use an express to extend the range of one of the dual bands in the Extreme, so this should be similar, if not a little messy.

I think he has both G and N devices in which case he doesn't want the N network to slow down while G devices are connected to it.

16. fireshot91 thread starter macrumors 601

fireshot91

Yeah. That's what I want to do.

But, I just found out that there's a ethernet port in the room right next to mine that is connected to my (main) router.

I guess I'll just have the second router be in the second bedroom (It's a guest bedroom, nobody ever sleeps in there), and then I'll be the lone person connected to it.