How to configure "ultimate" Mac home setup

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by jerseycitymac, Jul 25, 2008.

1. jerseycitymac macrumors newbie

I am eager to setup a home system with a few Macs, a few iPhones, a Time Capsule (and soon an AppleTV).

I'd like to have my music and photos available from my wife's Mac and vice versa. In addition, I'd like a central backup place. Here are my questions:

1. Am I correct in believing that both of us can use the same Time Capsule for out individual Time Machine backups? If yes, do you have any configuration tips?

2. Can we use the Time Capsule as a file server in addition to a backup hard drive? In other words, can we put our shared photos and music on the Time Capsule? Is this desirable?

3. If we put our photos and music on the Time Capsule (assuming that possible and desirable), how would we sync subsets of the music collection, etc. with our iPhones?

4. Since we have multiple Macs, should we dedicate one to each of our iPhones for syncing and updates, etc.? Or is it just as easy to setup each computer with multiple users?

5. How would we integrate our TV and stereo? How exactly do AppleTV and Airport Express fit into the picture?

6. Finally, how important would a multiple (home) version of MobileMe for creating the glue or some flexibility in this setup?

-----

Thanks in advance for your advice and opinions. I realize I've asked a lot of questions, but I'm eager to come up with a blueprint for an ultimate home Mac setup.

BTW, I was at a conference recently where the head of home networking for Linksys admitted that he had a wonderful setup at home that worked perfectly -- it was based exclusively on Mac products!

2. bigrell486 macrumors 6502

bigrell486

Yes you both Can use the same Time Capsule. It will configure itself.
    You can mount the Time Capsule and use it to store files. You can have your iTunes Library stored on a External Drive but your iPhoto Library has to be local
    Syncing would be handled the same way its always been. Your iPhoto Library has to be local.
    Each user needs their own Account.
    AppleTV will sync with your iTunes compatible media. There are methods of circumventing this restriction though.
    Mobile Me will help with the syncing of mail and contacts if you are away from you computer for a while. But won't be of any benefit to your setup.

3. jerseycitymac thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you, Bigrell486. I appreciate your help.

4. sauria macrumors regular

How'd it go?

How did your setup go? Got any pics? Thanks!