How to configure wired Sky Anytime+ through Base Station Extreme?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by thegreendesignr, Aug 31, 2011.

1. thegreendesignr macrumors newbie

Afternoon all,

I'm having problems getting Sky Anytime+ to work on my network and I was hoping that someone might beable to help, perhaps I've missed something out from my setup.

My Setup
    I have disabled wifi and dhcp on the Sky broadband router (which is a sagam), just using it as an ethernet modem connected to my base station extreme through the WAN port.

Most rooms in the house have an ethernet wall plate which runs cat 6 cable to a patch panel and a gigabit switch in a cupboard under the stairs. My base station is connected to the switch and provides wifi access to my macbook and iPhone. It also acts as a dhcp server and provides all my connected devices with an IP address from a range which I have configured.

My base station is set to shared internet connection and I have a guest network switched on too. Both my internal private network and guest network have WPA2 security switched on and each device has be added to the times access section by mac address and I have registered the mac addresses of each device on the network with a specific IP address.

My Sky+ HD box can find the network settings without any problems (dhcp is on, should it be?). Also, Broadband and ethernet settings are on under the settings as well.

So, to me everything seems configured correctly but I still can't receive Anytime+.

Am I doing something wrong? Can anyone help because Sky support can't figure it out and I'm begining to pull my hair out with this one.

Thanks in advance,

:confused:

2. NogbadTheBad, Aug 31, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 31, 2011

NogbadTheBad macrumors regular

NogbadTheBad

I just recently purchased a Timecapsule and a Draytek 120 V2 to replace my existing ADSL / Wi-Fi router.

I'm guessing your Sagam not acting as a modem and its still acting as a router and so is your Extreme, so a double NAT is taking place.

The Draytek converts ADSL to Ethernet and you set the ADSL username and password under the PPPOE settings on the Timecapsule / Extreme.

http://draytek.co.uk/products/vigor120.html

http://draytek.co.uk/support/kb_vigor100_setup.html

NB you'd need to know your ADSL username & password to get it to work, not sure if Sky hand this info out.

Have you got an IP address configured on the WAN interface, if so what is it ?

Can your devices on the LAN connect to the internet fine ?

I can do a screenshot when I get home if that would help ?

3. thegreendesignr thread starter macrumors newbie

I don't know anything about NAT settings but I'm able to surf the net with my current set up which makes me think that the modem is working as a modem.

4. NogbadTheBad macrumors regular

NogbadTheBad

What's the IP address on the Extreem WAN interface ?

If its in the following range its non routable on the internet and a double NAT must taking place :-

10.0.0.0 - 10.255.255.255
    172.16.0.0 - 172.31.255.255
    192.168.0.0 - 192.168.255.255

5. thegreendesignr thread starter macrumors newbie

The IP address of the Sky modem connected to the WAN is not in any of those ranges.

6. NogbadTheBad, Aug 31, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 31, 2011

NogbadTheBad macrumors regular

NogbadTheBad

7. thegreendesignr thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm using the Sky Broadband Router as a modem only, wifi and dhcp is switched off. The sky router is connected to my Base Station via ethernet cable so my setting is set to "Connect Using: Ethernet" on my base station.

8. NogbadTheBad macrumors regular

NogbadTheBad

9. thegreendesignr thread starter macrumors newbie

No, I'm using the Sky broadband router as a modem, I've turned of wifi and dhcp on it and connected it to my base station via the WAN port. Then on the base station I've set "connection Using:" to ethernet on the internet settings page of the base station.

10. NogbadTheBad macrumors regular

NogbadTheBad

Post some screenshots of the Sagem setup blanking out the IP & ADSL info.

A router is still a router if you turn off Wi-Fi and DHCP.

11. thegreendesignr thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks, I'll post the screenshots tonight once I get home.