How to confirm unlocked?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by supervelous, Sep 26, 2015.

1. supervelous macrumors 6502

i reserved my 6S Plus via the Apple Store app for reservation pickup. Had to choose carrier and chose AT&T. Picked it up and paid full price since I wasn't eligible for an upgrade after buying 6 Plus last year at subsidized price.

Am I correct in assuming since I paid full price my phone is unlocked? And my old phone which I took sim from and put into 6S+ is still locked (I sold on CL) for the person who bought it?

Or is the fact I chose the ATT variant and not one called unlocked mean my phone is locked??

2. enthusiastic macrumors regular

Just enter your info (either phone) here and you'll know.

3. supervelous thread starter macrumors 6502

So, here's what confuses me. I input an unlock request and it got denied bc I am still in a service contract. But shouldn't my 6 Plus I bought last year be the device that is locked? Shouldn't it be by the device? And shouldn't my full paid new phone be unlocked? Or is this just an automated response everyone gets who enters an unlock request who is still in a contract?

I called AT&T Customer Service earlier in the day and he said if I paid full price it should be unlocked, but he didn't sound confident in his responses. On the "request" online from the link I got this:

Device Unlock Status - Denied
    Check Status of Another Device
    Unfortunately, your unlock request was denied because:

• You haven’t fulfilled your service contract.
    You can submit a new request once you complete your service contract.
    Questions? Please call 800.331.0500, or dial 611 from your AT&T wireless phone.

4. spades1412 macrumors 6502

Try restoring the phone in iTunes, you should get an unlocked message after the restore.

5. enthusiastic macrumors regular

You can unlock the old 6 Plus for sure. I'm on Mobile Share Value so I'm not familiar with contracts. But if you have paid full price for the phone then by being on contract you are paying for your phone twice. And by the looks of it they won't unlock the phone either. Bad deal imo