How to connect a AE to another Wireless router

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Lotso, Jan 8, 2011.

1. Lotso macrumors 6502

Lotso

I have AT&T Uverse. They give me a Wirless router that runs all of the phones, T.Vs, and internet in the house. I have an Airport Express that I want to connect through an ethernet port to the AT&T router. Its a 2Wire 3800. I've read up a lot on how you need to set up the DHCP and Static IPs and stuff, but I just cant get it to work. Can anyone help me?

2. jenzjen, Jan 8, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2011

jenzjen macrumors 68000

We have Uverse, and while you can go the route you've been researching, you can also just operate the AE in bridge mode unless you have a specific reason you want to go the other way.

Hard reset your AE, connect your AE via ethernet to the Uverse box, turn off Uverse wireless and setup the AE in bridge mode.

Also, if you find sites are not loading quickly, you might need to adjust your DNS entries (http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r21748105-Uverse-2Wire-Wireless-Apple-Problem-Solution)

3. Lotso thread starter macrumors 6502

Lotso

I actually need two wireless networks. So I can't turn the Uverses wireless off. And can I still use Airplay in Bridge mode?

4. netnothing macrumors 68040

netnothing

So you want the UVerse router to still broadcast it's wireless access, and add the AE as a new wireless network?

Then you want to plug the AE into the network via ethernet. Then, in Airport for the AE, you need to click on the Internet tab and switch the Connection Sharing option to Off (Bridge Mode). This will turn off DHCP on the AE, and the UVerse router will still be the one distributing IP addresses.

You can still setup a new Wireless network on the AE, which will be a separate network from the wireless UVerse network.

-Kevin

Attached Files:

5. jenzjen macrumors 68000

Without stating the obvious, I'm guessing you want 2 networks to operate at 2 different bands 2.4 and 5? You can either do as the post above mentions -or- if you have a dual-band AE, you can have it create 2 networks itself. I have a dual band, so I turn off my Uverse wireless and let my AE create my 2 networks.

6. Lotso thread starter macrumors 6502

Lotso

Will I have to assign the AE a Static IP address? Or will the Uverse router issue the AE one?

Actually, I have a very tall house, and the Uverse router is at the top of the house but I spend most of my time at the very bottom. The connection is poor down there so I have something that gives me an ethernet port downstairs (I cant remember what its called). Then from that I have a port switch, and then from the port switch I have the AE, and then from the AE I have it plugged into speakers.
    Now you can see the complexity of my situtation and the frustration its caused me. :(

7. netnothing macrumors 68040

netnothing

No, you shouldn't have to. On the TCP/IP tab under Internet, it should obtain an IP address from the UVerse router.

Then this should work perfectly in that the AE is plugged into the ethernet switch, and it's creating a new wireless network downstairs. The UVerse router upstairs is the DHCP server and it assigns address to all devices on the network (assuming devices like AE are setup in Bridge mode.).

I used to have a setup where I had a Linksys G router, and an original Time Capsule that provided N. I hardwired the TC to the Linksys and set it to bridge mode. That way the Linksys assigned the TC an IP address, and then anything that connected to the TC wireless got an IP address assigned from the Linksys.

-Kevin

-Kevin

8. Lotso thread starter macrumors 6502

Lotso

Thanks to both of you for your help! It's working perfectly now!:D

9. netnothing macrumors 68040

netnothing

Good to hear!

-Kevin