Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

moviecouple

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 29, 2008
I have a Mac Mini and my brother has one also. We live in different cities. Both of us want to be able to connect to each ones computer to swap files back and forth. Is there a way to do this within the OSX or do we need some type of third party software? I know there is Logmein, but the free version doesn't allow file swapping... only the Pro version does. Could you use an FTP client like Filezilla?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

snberk103

macrumors 603
Oct 22, 2007
An Island in the Salish Sea
Or, DropBox. Free for 2Gb, and you get incremental upgrades to that when you invite other people. So, add your brother and a get bit more.

It puts a folder on your system that is mirrored on the DropBox servers. When your brother signs up then that folder (or a subfolder, if you want) is also mirrored onto his system. Anything you put into your shared DropBox folder will also appear in his DropBox folder, and vice versa. You can have shared and non-shared folders, and you can share different folders with different people - so not everyone you are sharing with necessarily has access to everything.

Good Luck, and tell us which way you decide to go.

moviecouple

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 29, 2008
Could you explain how to use Teamviewer? We tried that program, but could never get it to work at all.

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
Could you explain how to use Teamviewer? We tried that program, but could never get it to work at all.

You both need to download and install it first. Then, on the left hand side is your ID and password, you need to give your ID and PW to him or vice versa and then enter the ID to the right hand side box and select file transfer. Then it asks for the password, insert it and you're done. Very simple to use

-tWv-

macrumors 68000
May 11, 2009
Ohio
I would also suggest dropbox if the files you need to transfer aren't larger than 2gigs. If its just documents and stuff like that then dropbox will be the easiest. All you have to do is copy the files to the dropbox folder and they are automatically synced to any other computers connected to the same account.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.