Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

limsilas

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 21, 2007
hello,

i'm trying to connect both audio and video from my macbook (C2D, black) to an old tube television, and i've determined i need the apple mini dvi to video adapter:

922-5930.gif

however, the TV is indeed old and it only has the following two inputs on the front of it, with nothing in the back:

inputs.jpg

i have no idea what inputs those are. does anyone know what cable(s) would i need to buy to connect to the apple mini dvi to video adapter?

thanks!

limsilas

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 21, 2007
not sure what make/model TV as i am not at home right now. i guess i'm used to seeing RCA inputs in threes, i.e., red/white/yellow?

so how would i connect the apple adapter to these inputs here? and would i need to run a separate 3.5mm audio cable into my macbook's headphone jack?

JKColo22

macrumors regular
Feb 19, 2009
My girlfriend's old TV was the same way:

Video is the yellow cable, run that from video out to the video on the TV. And yes, you need a 3.5mm audio to RCA from the headphone jack then plug either white or red into the audio on TV. The TV simply doesn't output in stereo, but rather is mono-channel only (Red is left channel, white is right, or vice versa, can't remember specifically). Moral of the story: Just plug either one in and you will get audio, it just won't alternate between the speakers, you will have the same sounds coming out of both speakers.

limsilas

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 21, 2007
so just to make sure i'm crystal clear:

- run a yellow RCA cable from the apple mini DVI to video adapter to the TV's video input (and the cable should look the same on both ends?)
- run a white/red RCA cable from the TV's audio input to the 3.5mm headphone jack on my macbook

is that right?

ss957916

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2009
Yep.

That looks like a little 14"-ish portable TV which would be mono - hence only one audio input. Obviously you'll need a minijack to RCA cable for the audio.

jzuena

macrumors 65816
Feb 21, 2007

- run a yellow RCA cable from the apple mini DVI to video adapter to the TV's video input (and the cable should look the same on both ends?)
- run a white/red RCA cable from the TV's audio input to the 3.5mm headphone jack on my macbook

is that right?

If the TV only has one jack, then it is not stereo. If you can get a 3.5mm to mono cable, it will join the left and right so you get both channels in one RCA cable. Otherwise, hook either the red or white to the TV, but you will lose one of the two channels of sound.

JKColo22

macrumors regular
Feb 19, 2009

is that right?

Yep, you got it. And FYI the color of the cable you use doesn't matter. You could theoretically use two "yellow" cables if you have them laying around, they are all RCA, just colored for convenience.
Make sure you get a 3.5mm->RCA for the audio (it can have both red and white, you will choose either one).

limsilas

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 21, 2007
awesome, thanks everyone!

so the RCA cable from the TV's video input connects to this part of the apple adapter, right?

apple_adapter.gif

what's that other port for?

l.a.rossmann

macrumors 65816
May 15, 2009
Brooklyn
It could be s-video, although I can't see from that angle. s-video would give a better picture, but to my recollection, 99.999999999% of the tube, curved screen TVs out there below 20" did not have an s-video connector.

JKColo22

macrumors regular
Feb 19, 2009
what's that other port for?

That's S-Video, don't worry about it unless there is a port for it on your TV. It is just an alternative to the yellow cable, supposedly better, but disputable.

limsilas

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 21, 2007
would there be any benefit in getting an "s-video to RCA" cable, and going from the s-video port on the apple adapter to the RCA video input on the TV?

l.a.rossmann

macrumors 65816
May 15, 2009
Brooklyn
None. It's like getting a color TV for someone with monochromatic vision. It's the same as putting a B&W set in front of them.

KielderWolf

macrumors regular
Aug 1, 2009
Northeast England
Ignore the S-video cable. S-video officially only supports 800x600 maximum resolution and whenever I have ever used it in the past generally refuses to show any colour other than green and the quality and stability of the picture are awful. Besides, your television set obviously doesn't support it.

I agree with jzuena, if you buy a 3.5mm to mono RCA adapter, both stereo channels will be mixed and you will not loose a channel of sound.

For future reference for the people who seem confused; RED is RIGHT, WHITE is LEFT. Also, you should refrain from using the yellow video cables for audio, and avoid using a white/red/mono audio cable for video. The cable cores are of differing metal quality (even where the cables are twined together in three) and you will experience a loss in picture and audio quality.

limsilas

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 21, 2007
thanks for the input on inputs, guys!

now, is apple the only way to go for the mini-DVI to video adapter? a company named dynex makes the version below (the DX-AP100), which is available for cheap on ebay, but the amazon reviews do not look promising.

318BU1c-C6L._SL500_AA280_.jpg

NikFinn

macrumors 6502a
Jun 22, 2009
MA
The best site for cables on the cheap is monoprice.com I personally bought from there and saved a good amount of money over the apple branded cable. I'm not 100% sure if they have that exact cable but I would def. check it out.

limsilas

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 21, 2007
thanks again, guys. i will avoid dynex.

unfortunately monoprice does not carry the mini-dvi to video adapter, but they definitely have the other cables for an excellent price.

case closed!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.