How to connect a microphone to my macbook ?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by XPcentric, Dec 7, 2010.

1. XPcentric macrumors 6502

I have a stereo microphone with a jack of ~6 mm and I bought a converter to 3.5mm but.. it does not seem to fit into the socket, I dont want to push harder to break anything there.

Even if it fitted I still dont know if it would need additional software. Does anyone know how to connect it ?

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Err... you need a 1/8" TRS stereo jack converter. It looks like you're going from an XLRD connector all the way down to the 1/8" TRS. If connecting your microphone really matters to you, you should probably buy some sort of phantom power/hub device so you only need 2 connectors instead of 3.

3. zachsilvey macrumors 6502

You aren't going to get studio quality sound from your macbook's line in due to the low quality surface mount parts.

If you are using a proper microphone with an XLR connection you want a external analog to digital converter that then plugs into the computer via USB. Blue, Shure and M-Audio make some relatively affordable solutions.

4. XPcentric thread starter macrumors 6502

Thank you for both replies.

I've been searching and I found:
    1. XLR to USB cable on ebay which cost is from 10 gbp/usd but dispatched from Hong Kong and quite a lot to wait for - i read proofs it does work well

2. I also found XLR to jack 3.5mm cable much cheaper 3 gbp/usd but dont have reviews if it works and I'm thinking to buy this one link

5. dime21 macrumors 6502

Buy an external Firewire or USB sound card. The consumer grade ones are all USB, while Pro grade ones are Firewire. Either way, they will have FAR better audio circuitry than what's inside your laptop. Also, they will provide a plethora of inputs and outputs.