How to connect a mutimedia speaker system to an IMac?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by banph, Jan 6, 2012.

1. banph macrumors newbie

I just purchased a new IMac. I have been a PC user all my life except for my wireless IPad. I have a Cambridge SoundWorks Desktop Theater 5.1 DTT2200 Multimedia Speaker system that was hooked up to my Dell PC. It has three color coded connections. Lime Green for 2 channel, Lime Green and Black for 4 channel and lime green, black and orange for 5 channel. How to I at least get 4 channel on my IMac when there is only one connection port?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

2. vankata macrumors member

The only way to connect your iMac to a 5.1 audio system is through the optical out. I have an Yamaha receiver and a 5.1 Jamo speaker system. The connection between the iMac and the receiver is through an optical cable. Is there an optical input on you system?

3. banph thread starter macrumors newbie

4. Emathieu macrumors regular

You mean no optical input? (on your speaker system)

5. martinm0 macrumors 6502a

All macs (sans the MBA's) have optical in and out through the audio mini jacks. You just need one of the mini-toslink cables or adapters.

6. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

iMac has optical output, but your sound system probably does not have optical input.

In that case, you need a USB sound card with the analogue outputs (probably 3 plugs?) you want.