How to connect an Airport Extream to a non mac router

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Massnegro, Feb 18, 2010.

1. Massnegro macrumors newbie

Hi all, and sorry if this is a repeat of an old question I'm sure the answer is here already here on the forum, (if you can point me in the right direction that would help) but I can't seem to find a solution that works or I that’s idiot proof...

So, and as I said I need an idiots guide to this... Just how do I connect a G4 to an Airport Extreme Base station via LAN cable, and then get it to connect to an existing wireless network (that’s using a non Mac router).

It's just that the existing airport card is painfully slow with a NAS and as I had the AE kicking about I thought I'd use that rather than buying a new PCI AE card.

Regards

Andy

2. MrCheeto macrumors 68030

MrCheeto

*non-APPLE router*

You mean...bridge the connection and then share it via ethernet?

3. mstrze macrumors 68000

You want to connect the computer via ethernet (cable) AND wirelessly? (highlights above are mine) As in join TWO seperate networks?

I think you can only do one or the other. I could be wrong though.

4. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Possible. This is my set up.

Vzzzz Router --wire-- airport extreme
    --wireless n 5ghz-- airport express --wire-- gigabit switch--other stuff

5. Massnegro thread starter macrumors newbie

Sorry all I think I've confused the issues here, all I want to do is use the airport extreme as a Wireless access point; connected to my existing network provided on a Linksys router.

Andy

6. mstrze macrumors 68000

You absolutely can plug in your AEBS to the router and create a new network. :)