How to connect and see video from composite output camera

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by nobtiba, Mar 19, 2008.

1. nobtiba macrumors newbie

Dear Bros,

I have a camera with composite video signal output. Commonly, it is connected to TV to see what camera can see. But now i want to see it on my mac pro instead of the television.

I wonder what hardware (and software, maybe...) do i need and how to set it up ?
    Please give me some ideas or links that i could find the way out.
    The cheaper way is prefer.

Thank you very much for your help !

2. yippy macrumors 68020

yippy

First, does your monitor have composite inputs? If so, no need to use the Mac Pro at all because you can connect directly to the monitor.

If not, you will need an video capture device. For the Mac the most common and arguably the best one is the the Elgato Eye TV Turbo or Hybrid. The Hybrid can be found for around $130.

3. nobtiba thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for your reply. For sure, if i just need to see on the monitor and it has composite input, there will be nothing to ask ;)
    I need to watch on my Macbook Pro laptop which seems to have only input through usb port.

I just read the Elgato Eye TV you suggested, may have to try it if no other choice, but still hope that have some options to choose, and any device that i could work on both Mac OS and Windows ?

Many thanks for all !