How to Connect Apogee Duet 1 with Mac Mini 2014

Discussion in 'Digital Audio' started by nsalwan, Nov 2, 2014.

1. nsalwan macrumors newbie

Hi All,

I just bought a Mac Mini and had an apogee duet that I was going to connect to it. Unfortunately, there is no firewire connection for it. I went and bought a firewire to thunderbolt adapter but I still cannot connect the firewire ends together (likely different firewire ports?)

Any suggestions on how to connect this?

Appreciate everyone's help with this!

2. jakesaunders27 macrumors 6502a

jakesaunders27

I'm not familiar with the original duet, but it could be that it uses FireWire 400 and not 800 which is what the adaptor is, any chance you could post a picture of the ends?

3. nsalwan thread starter macrumors newbie

Hey you are right. It's a 800 and 400 issue. I guess in their I can buy another cable and connect it all. I wonder if this is going to cause issues with the performance of the preamps. Does anyone else have this kind of setup?

4. Fishrrman macrumors G4

Fishrrman

I don't have an Apogee but it looks like you need an 800/400 "6 pin to 9 pin" cable:
    http://www.monoprice.com/Search/Index?keyword=firewire+800+to+400

This -should- work. I'm guessing that if there are problems, they probably will have more to do with the use of the thunderbolt-to-firewire adapter itself, than with the fact that you're using that particular connecting cable...

5. Luap macrumors 65816

Luap

Apple Thunderbolt to Firewire cable and a Firewire 800-400 cable will do the trick.
    That said, my experience of the older Duet on later Apple operating systems hasn't been great (Pops, clicks, crap latency). But your mileage may vary. So good luck ;)

6. entropi macrumors 6502

Apogee Duet FW with the Apple thunderbolt to FireWire adapter works great on my mba 11" with 10.9.5. Couldn't be happier!