How to connect Canon Rebel to my Macbook?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by slipper, Jun 23, 2007.

1. slipper macrumors 68000

slipper

Pardon my ignorance. I just bought a used Digital Rebel (300D) and it did not include any manuals or CDs. How do i connect the camera to my laptop to download pics? TIA.

2. JDN macrumors 6502a

Mini USB to USB cable? I've never seen a 300D but thats the most common way. Or use a card reader.

3. MacAnkka macrumors regular

300D has a mini-usb port. It is only usb1.1, if I remember correctly, though, so it's quite slow. So a card reader would be a better idea.

4. bartelby macrumors Core

Does the camera have different USB modes?
    To connect without the need for drivers, make sure the USB is in Mass Storage mode.

Or, download software from the Canon site.

5. compuwar macrumors 601

compuwar

The camera should have come with a cable and software. However, you're much better off getting a compact flash card reader and pulling the card out of the camera for a couple of reasons:

1. The cable covers tend to degrade over time if you keep pulling them off to connect.

2. You won't ever have an accident where the camera gets knocked off the table if it's not on the table tethered to the computer.

Finally, if you've got more than one card, you can load and format the second card and download the pictures off the full card at your convenience.

If you can't find your manual, go to:

http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/c...loadDetailTabAct&fcategoryid=314&modelid=9430

Click on the Product/Software Manuals link and go from there.

6. slipper thread starter macrumors 68000

slipper

i was thinking it was as simple as just connecting a mini USB to USB. I guess the mini USB isnt working on the 300D.....:eek:

7. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

You turned the 300D on, right? This isn't uniform across Canon consumer models, and it's been a while since I sync'd my 300D, but I'm pretty sure it actually needs to be turned on before it will do anything. Plug it in via mini-USB, turn it on, and iPhoto or Image Capture or whatever you have configured as the default handler should launch.